13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 11:32 AM by NickTsotsikyan

FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment

JohnDuncan

Summary

FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment

Description of the issue

We spent several hours today tracking down a problem with the Send Email script step in FileMaker Pro 10.0v3.  We are using password-authenticated SSL SMTP to a gmail account.  The problem is that Send Email throws an error 1506 with attachments over about 550KB.  If no attachment is included or if the attachment is smaller than the threshold no error occurs.  Even with the error, the email and the attachment *are* successfully sent. We tested the same emails and attachments with a different mail server (CommuniGate Pro) using an authenticated but non-SSL connection and there were no error codes.  I don't know if this is a problem just with the type of mail server that gmail uses or if it is related to SSL because we were not able to test SSL and non-SSL against the same server.

• 1. Re: FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment
          TSGal

John Duncan:

Thank you for your post.

We have had a number of reports when using Send Mail to a gmail server.  Headers becoming corrupt, names not encoded, etc.

An error 1506 is a general error returned from the mail server.  We have heard that an email was unsuccessful but was actually sent, and this could be that the email server may try a few times to send the file if it doesn't succeed initially.

Any other information you can give us about file attachments and/or SSL would be appreciated.  If sensitive information, contact me privately (top of this page - right side - envelope icon).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment
            JohnDuncan

The attachments were PDF files that had been embedded in a FileMaker container, exported to the user's temporary folder and attached from there.  We tried multiple different PDFs and multiple tests to determine what triggered the problem.  We tried shorter file names, shorter path names, and ensuring that there were no questionable characters in the file or path name.  The problem always occurred with PDF attachments over about 550KB in size using SSL to the Gmail server.  The problem never occurred when using another non-SSL non-Gmail SMTP server.  We did not try different types of attachments, only used PDFs.  We had planned to flag emails that returned an error code as "incomplete" but we worked around the problem by flagging 1506 errors where the attachment exceeded 500KB as being "Caution - email may not have been sent".  We did not observe any corruption in the emails that were actually received when the 1506 error occurred.

This was not a standard "@gmail.com" account but rather a domain being hosted on gmail.  The mail server however was smtp.gmail.com port 465.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment
              pminich_1

I have run into exactly the same problem today. I have a FM solution that handles emails with PDF attachments w/out any problems. I tried to implement another solution today that is will be sending pdf attachments in the 600+kb range and I get the 1506 (Email(s) could not be sent error) when in fact they are being sent.

I am using Gmail with a hosted domain using smtp.gmail.com. 

• 4. Re: FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment
                TSGal

John Duncan and pminich:

Thank you for the additional information.

I have forwarded this entire thread to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  I will post information as it becomes available.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment
                  pminich_1
                     Thanks for the info. It's always nice to be to know that things aren't falling on deaf ears.
                  • 6. Re: FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment
                    TSGal

pminich (et al):

I was called to the Testing department to try and replicate the problem.  We were able to send emails with attachments, all over 600 KB (the largest being 1.4 Mb) to the gmail server without a problem (with and without SSL).  No error message.  Although I think the file size is a factor, there is probably another piece of information being overlooked.

Our Testing department is keeping this open, but they are not going to pursue it further until they have more information.

1. Is Send Mail being accessed from a local file or from a client file connected to FileMaker Server 10?

2. For those records that you received the 1506 error message, do you notice anything out of the ordinary regarding the To:, CC:, BCC:, Subject:, or Message fields?  Calculations?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment
                      pminich_1

Happy to help out.

1. I am actually using just Filemaker Pro for this. (Not Advanced or Server) The file that is being attached is local. I have a script that creates a PDF export of a form and then sends the email. I did isolate just the sending part of the script and still got the error.

2. Here is something a little odd. To set the To: in my script I use a variable. I copied the exact same script step down into an error catch and hard coded my own email address into it (forget to remove the attach file). I got the error message email with the attached file but no error in FM. I then tested the the script by removing the variable and hardcoding the To and still got the 1506 with the initial email but not with the error message.

I can provide a copy of my database if you would like. 

• 8. Re: FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment
                        JohnDuncan

In response to your questions: 

1. In my case it was FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 connected via the Internet to FileMaker Server Advanced 10.0v2.  The initial problem occurred while using $Path local variable as the File Reference to the file which had been exported from a container to Get( TemporaryPath ) plus the filename.  The file had been stored in a container (not by reference).  I also tested without the $Path and from files stored closer to the root of the filesystem and got the same error.

2. There was no indication in the received file of anything out-of-the-ordinary.  The attachment was intact and the Send From, Send To, and Subject all looked OK.  At one point we were only attaching the PDF without any body text and thought that might be the problem so we added the text "See Attached File..." to the body but it didn't make a difference.  I tried sending the exact same email but substituting a smaller PDF and got no error.  I'm wondering if it could be some sort of timing issue on a "normal" internet connection.  My connection speed here is 7Mbps down, 1.5 Mbps down.

I would be happy to work with your technical folks if they want to contact me back-channel.  I am FBA/FTA Cert 8/9/10. 

• 9. Re: FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment
                          pminich_1
                             I forgot to say that I did test this on a my main development machine with FM Pro Advanced and received the same result.
                          • 10. Re: FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment
                            TSGal

pminich and John Duncan:

Thank you for the additional information.  I have forwarded both of your answers to the appropriate testers.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment
                              TSGal

pminich and John Duncan:

The Testers want copies of your files with which to test.  I have sent you each a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 12. Re: FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment
                                pminich_1
                                   I tried to send the file and it bounced back. Maybe it was too large. I will see what I can do to make it smaller and resend it. Heading out of town for 2 days so may not get to it until Thursday.
                                • 13. Re: FileMaker 10 Send Email Error 1506 with Large Attachment
                                  NickTsotsikyan

I use FileMaker 11 and we started having an issue with email as well.  Our email is hosted through yahoo small business.  I was getting error 1506 so I called yahoo and found out they recently made some security updates to their servers to help prevent spam.  

Make sure that in your SMTP settings the user information email address and the outgoing user name are the same.  Our's were 2 different emails, once I changed it to both being the same, it fixed the issue.