1 2 3 Previous Next 32 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2012 9:41 AM by bmacisaac

FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly

bmacisaac

Summary

FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 11.0v1Operating System(s) involved:Mac 10.6.3Detailed description of the issue:When there are multiple occurences of a container field on the same layout and that field is set to store only a reference to the file, only one of the container fields is printed.Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1.  Create a database with one container field on a layout.2.  Duplicate that container field.3.  Insert a picture in the field and check "Store only a reference to the file"Expected Result:With FileMaker 10, both fields display and print properly.Actual Result:With FileMaker 11 Both containers display correctly but only one will show on the print or print preview.Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:The print displays "The file cannot be displayed: 1400lwa.jpg" where the second container should be.

• 1. Re: FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly
          TSGal

bmacIsaac:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate this problem with FileMaker Pro 11 running Mac OS X 10.6.3 and 10.5.8.  These are the steps I took.

1. I created a new database file (Test.fp7).

2. I created a new Container field named "Container".

3. I went into Layout mode and duplicated "Container", and placed it below the other instance of "Container".

4. I added a record, placed my cursor in the first "Container", pulled down the Insert menu and selected "Picture".

5. I checked the option "Store only a reference to the file", selected a JPG file and clicked Open.  The image displays in both instances of "Container".

6. I went into Preview Mode, and the image displays in both instances of "Container".

7. I added a second record, placed my cursor in the second "Container", pulled down the Insert menu and selected "Picture".

8. I checked the option "Store only a reference to the file", selected a PNG file and clicked Open.  The image displays in both instances of "Container".

9. I went into Preview Mode, and the image display in both instances of "Container", and both records display correct.

10. I printed to hard copy, and the images appear correctly there, too.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you.

Is it possible you have the top of one of the fields touching another part?  If so, the Container field then belongs to the part and it may show different results.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly
            bmacisaac

Thank you for looking into this.
            After some tests I have found that this only occurs using photos that are on our file server. Here is our set up:
            Filemaker Server 11 (standard) running on an Apple Xserve with 10.6.3 installed
            There are seven users connected in the main office on the local network and also from a few remote offices.
            They are currently using FMP 10 due to the printing issue, I have FMP 11 on all the client machines and this problem is present on all of them.
            Today I rebuilt our database - created a clone and imported records - opened this new file on the FMS and still have the same problem.
            Also tried a recovery and it produced this error near the end of the recovery log:
            WARNING: problems were detected while recovering the database.  The recovered file should NOT be used going forward; copy only the most recent work from it into a backup copy of the original file.
            WARNING: problems were detected while recovering the database.  The recovered file should NOT be used going forward; copy only the most recent work from it into a backup copy of the original file.
            I am using a separate data - interface solution - could that be part of the problem?
            Again, everything works fine using FMP 10 clients.

Thank you for looking into this.
            After some tests I have found that this only occurs using photos that are on our file server. Here is our set up:
            Filemaker Server 11 (standard) running on an Apple Xserve with 10.6.3 installedThere are seven users connected in the main office on the local network and also from a few remote offices.They are currently using FMP 10 due to the printing issue, I have FMP 11 on all the client machines and this problem is present on all of them.
            Today I rebuilt our database - created a clone and imported records - opened this new file on the FMS and still have the same problem.
            Also tried a recovery and it produced this error near the end of the recovery log:
            WARNING: problems were detected while recovering the database.  The recovered file should NOT be used going forward; copy only the most recent work from it into a backup copy of the original file.WARNING: problems were detected while recovering the database.  The recovered file should NOT be used going forward; copy only the most recent work from it into a backup copy of the original file.
            I am using a separate data - interface solution - could that be part of the problem?
            Again, everything works fine using FMP 10 clients.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly
              TSGal

bmacisaac:

Thank you for the additional information, but I am still unable to replicate the problem.

I placed the image on a shared volume.  I placed the database file on another server running FileMaker Server 11.  I then accessed the file from another computer using full privileges, inserting the image from the shared volume as a reference into the Container field.  It also appears in the second occurrence of the Container field.

I go to another machine running FileMaker Pro 11, access the file, and after initially forgetting to mount the shared drive, the image displays in both instances of the Container field.  I go to Preview, and both pictures display.  I print, and the contents of both Container fields print out.

Try creating a new database file with one Container field.  Go into Layout mode and duplicate the Container field.  Insert the image from the mounted volume.  Set that file to be accessed over the network.  Then, have another user access the file.  See if it displays in Preview.

Please provide any other information to help me replicate the problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly
                bmacisaac

I have tried your suggestions and have not been able to resolve this.

I have tried using different network volumes for the images. I have tried using other work stations and FileMaker accounts.

I have tried changing permissions on the image file - I don't think this is the problem as if it were, it is unlikely I would see the image at all.

One observation I did note: If you swap the positions of the container fields on the layout, the image still appears in the original container no matter where you move it to.

I thought it might be a faulty installation package but realized I have installations of both Advanced and Pro and they behave the same.

I still have FileMaker 10 installed - could there be a conflict with preferences?

I am perplexed - we have spent a lot of money upgrading but cannot use it or any of the new features offered by FileMaker 11.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly
                  TSGal

bmacisaac:

Thanks for the information, and although I can't replicate the problem, I don't doubt this isn't happening to you.

It would probably be best at this point to send me your database file (or a clone of it) along with the image file.  I'll place the image file on a shared server, and I'll follow your steps precisely.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - envelope icon just below the blue horizontal bar) with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly
                    TSGal

bmacisaac:

I received your files.  Thank you.

Yes, I can now replicate the problem following your instructions.  That is, placing the image on the same server where FileMaker Server was running.  However, I discovered that this occurs with any server.  My original testing was to an iDisk, which I thought would act like a server, but it doesn't.  I can also confirm that this works as expected with FileMaker Pro 10, or if the image file is situated on a local drive.  This works properly with Windows.

I have forwarded your files along with my findings to our Development and Software Quality Assurance.  The server I was originally using was an iDisk, and that appears to work correctly.  However, all other servers appear to have this issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly
                      bmacisaac

TSGal:

Thank you - at least now I know it's not just my set-up. Indeed, as I said in a previous post, it didn't matter where the image was residing, if it is on another server it simply won't display.

Have been using FileMaker for over ten years and this was the first problem I couldn't manage to solve in a reasonable time frame.

• 8. Re: FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly
                        philmodjunk

This looks like one more thread for the Known Bug List. Can you all clarify a key point?

Does this bug only occur when two store by reference container fields point to the same file in the same record? Or is it due to having two container fields or is it only when you duplicate the field?

• 9. Re: FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly
                          bmacisaac

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question.

>Does this bug only occur when two store by reference container fields point to the same file in the same record?

I do know you can't have a duplicate container field point to different files. The test file I used only has one field. In my solution every duplicate container field per layout only displays once - additional duplicate fields display the error.I tried manually placing the container fields on a blank layout (not duplicating) and the result is the same.

>Or is it due to having two container fields or is it only when you duplicate the field?

My solution is useless unless there is more than one occurrence of a container field on a layout. As above, manually creating multiple occurrences of containers makes no difference.

If you do not store by reference, all works as it should - I cannot go this route as we have several thousand photos and documents that we deal with and that would increase the size of the database immensely.

My solution relies heavily on having the same container multiple times on a layout. We use this to print multiple brochures, flyers, catalog pages etc. per page and then cut and distribute them - this saves us a great deal on laser printing and staff costs.

I would be glad to clarify further if I can help. Do you have the sample files I sent? The bug was reproduced by the moderator of this forum.

Thanks for looking into this.

• 10. Re: FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly
                            TSGal

PhilModJunk:

You said:

> Does this bug only occur when two store by reference container fields point to the same file in the same record? Or is it due to having two container fields

> or is it only when you duplicate the field?

This occurs if you duplicate the Container field on the current layout.  That is, you have more than one occurrence of the same Media field on the layout.  Again, this only appears to occur with FileMaker Pro 11 where the inserted image is stored as a reference, and the image is accessed through a shared server.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly
                              bmacisaac

I wonder if this can be resolved? I have spent a great deal of money on FileMaker licenses that I cannot use. Is it possible to get a refund?

• 12. Re: FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly
                                TSGal

bmacisaac:

If you purchased this through our Sales department, please contact the sales representative for your area.  Contact our Customer Assistance department at toll-free 800-325-2747 for all other inquiries.  Either one should give you the details about a refund.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly
                                  bmacisaac

Thank you, I will contact our reseller. I was wondering though, will this ever be fixed? After using FileMaker since V1 or V2 do I have to consider another database solution?

• 14. Re: FileMaker 11 - Container fields not printing properly
                                    TSGal

bmacisaac:

All reported problems are categorized and prioritized, and I do not have access to that information.  Therefore, I don't have the time frame when this will be fixed.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 Previous Next