4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 2:11 PM by JackKelly

FileMaker 11 Crash on Open Remote

JohnDuncan

Summary

FileMaker 11 Crash on Open Remote

Description of the issue

FileMaker Products InvolvedFileMaker Pro 11.0v1 Advanced (probably FileMaker Pro 11 too) Operating Systems InvolvedMacOS-X 10.5.8, 10.6.2, Mac Mini Intel Dual 1.67, Mac Pro 1 Quad Xeon 2.93 Detailed Description of IssueWhen opening a remote database from the "Open New or Existing File" diaiog by clicking on the "Remote..." button the "Open Remote File" dialog is presented on top of the "Open new or Existing File" dialog.  After clicking on the Server and database there can be a delay between clicking the "Open" button and when the "Open" dialog comes up asking for the Account Name and Password.  During that time the "Open New or Existing" dialog is displayed and is in no way disabled.  If you then click the "Remote" button on the "Open New or Existing File" dialog FileMaker crashes. The delay may be related to screen-sharing software.  I observed the problem on two different Macs when using Timbuktu 8.8 or Apple Remote Desktop 3.3.2 but have not observed it when manipulating the screen directly.  It does not seem to be dependent on connection speed as the Mac Pro is also the FileMaker Server.  I tried but could not reproduce the problem on Windows XP using Timbuktu to control its screen. Exact steps to reproduce the issue1. Requires 2 Macs to reproduce using screen-sharing software (plus a FileMaker Server)2. Set up Mac "A' with FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced and turn on Screen Sharing or Remote management3. Use Mac "B" to share Mac "A"s screen4. Open FileMaker and get to the "Open File" dialog5. Click on the "Remote" button6. Enter the ID and Password and click "Open"7. The "Open FIle" may remain open after the ID/Password dialog goes away8. Click on the "Remote" button again.  FileMaker crashes Expected ResultThe "Open File" dialog should disappear as soon as the ID/Password dialog goes away. Actual ResultIn some cases especially on remotely controlled screens the "Open File" dialog remains up long enough to click on the "Remote" button again. Exact text of any error message(s) that appearedApplication crash dialog appears offering to send info to Apple Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issueTesting was done both on a local network and across the Internet using 2 different machines and 2 different FileMaker servers.  There was a high correlation between remotely controlling the screen and seeing the problem.   

• 1. Re: FileMaker 11 Crash on Open Remote
          TSGal

John Duncan:

Thank you for your post.

Due to a fast network in house, I cannot slow down screen sharing to replicate the problem.  However, I have forwarded your entire post to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  When I receive additional information from either department, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 11 Crash on Open Remote
            JohnDuncan

The testing on this problem was done here using a 1000T wired so it can be reproduced on a fast network.  The delay can be as long as 30 seconds.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 11 Crash on Open Remote
              TSGal

John Duncan:

Although my delay is about a tenth of a second (definitely less than half a second), I have received an initial report from Testing that they are able to confirm the problem.  I will continue to keep you updated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 11 Crash on Open Remote
                JackKelly

Confirming that this happens in my environment as well with Filemaker 11 v3.

I'm able to replicate this issue in the following scenarios:

Server 2003 running on VMware ESX. VMware Tools is installed on OS.

Windows XP running on VMware ESX. VMware Tools is installed on OS.

Windows XP running on bare-metal, receiving the app as a Citrix XenApp streaming profile

Server 2003 running on bare-metal, delivering the app as a Citrix XenApp remote app