14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 1:42 PM by ericwlacroix_1

FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro

johnwall

Summary

FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro

Description of the issue

I am trying to run FM11 but it keeps crashing on my Mac Pro when switching between layout mode and browse mode. FileMaker Product(s) involved11.0v1Operating System(s) involved10.6.2 (newly reinstalled today)Detailed description of the issueWhether the database is hosted on my FMServer Advanced server or copied to my local drive, FileMaker crashes, mostly when moving in and out of layout mode.Exact steps to reproduce the issueI am trying to troubleshoot a chart oddity. So several times I have gone into layout mode to edit the chart. Sometimes when I go back into layout mode, and sometimes when I switch to browse mode, it crashes. Expected ResultSwitch to browse modeActual ResultConsole reports: 3/10/10 3:28:05 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[252] ([0x0-0xda0da].com.filemaker.client.pro[17740]) Job appears to have crashed: Bus errorExact text of any error message(s) that appearedI get the Report to Apple window and I hit Relaunch.Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issueIt first started when the document  was on the server. But I copied it locally and told FMP11 to check its consistency. It reports all is well. I reinstalled Snow Leopard (and ran updates).I created a new user but it happened with that user as well. Any workarounds that you have foundNone yet. I will check to see if this shows up on my home computer later.

• 1. Re: FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro
          TSGal

johnwall:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue on my Mac Mini running OS X 10.6.2, and I know that doesn't help you.

How many times do you switch between Layout Mode and Browse Mode before this occurs?  Does this only happen when you are editing a chart?  Is the entire chart within the Body part?  Header?

If you have any additional information that can help me replicate the issue, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro
            johnwall

Sadly I think it might be related to the one machine. 

Now that I am home I am trying to edit the layout on my iMac and the document appears to be very stable.

The file is only about a month old, and I haven't had any problems with it before switching to FM11. It is a pretty small file, only about 5.2MB in size. Text only. Everything is within the body. On that file I can usually switch only once or twice between browse and layout before it crashes. 

There is a problem on my work machine with two other pieces of software: VoodooPad and Ommwriter. But both of those give me errors in the console that point to the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT video card in the machine (and the developer of VoodooPad confirmed that the bug I see in his software, which is a 30 second pause of the machine, is related to the video card). FileMaker gives me no such indication. 

I will try to reinstall FIleMaker tomorrow and see if I still have problems.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro
              johnwall

Further troubleshooting measures provide no help:

Unplugged all peripherals (even ethernet)

Removed aftermarket ram

quit all non-apple running software

The specs on the machine are:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 3 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08

The database I am testing this on is fairly new. I am opening it to a layout with a parent record, a portal into a related table, and a bar chart in between. When I open the database, switch to layout view, double-click on the bar chart, and then specify a different field for the vertical axis, I hit OK, then hit command-b to move to browse mode. I get the dialog box asking if I want to save changes but before I can react FileMaker shuts down by itself.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro
                TSGal

johnwall:

Thank you for the additional information.

I performed a search on the forum for "GeForce", and I returned several records.  One user with the same video card turned down the accelerator on the driver and the problem went away.  You may want to look at the thread:

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/t5/Report-a-bug/graphics-bug/td-p/32400

Let me know if this works for you.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro
                  johnwall

Thanks for the info. I know people have had problems with the GeForce. I saw that thread but it seems to only apply to the Windows version. There seems to be no way to tweak the performance of the Mac version of the GeForce cards.

This morning I installed OS 10.6 on another drive in my computer, reinstalled my software, made a new user, and copied nothing over from my old drive. FIleMaker has been working flawlessly since then.

Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro
                    pderby

I just bought the upgrade for FMP 11 Advanced a few hours ago.  Anxious to try out the CHARTing feature, I set up a simple database with 7 variables.  Grabbed data using the XML import to get some data to plot.  Set up a new layout and defined the X, Y axis.  FMP crashes whenever I try to save the layout with a CHART embedded.

I'm running on a MacBook Pro, OS 10.6.3 build 10D573.  

I went into the ENERGY SAVER/SYSTEM PREFERENCES and changed the setting from "Higher Performance" to "Better Battery Life" for the POWER ADAPTER setting.  Now FMP doesn't crash.

Seems there are definitely problems using the high performance graphics with FMP 11 Advanced.

• 7. Re: FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro
                      pderby

With the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT active on a MacBook Pro the FMP 11 Advanced crash is repeatable:

Generate a new layout

Insert a chart into the new layout

Define the x, y axis, lables

Go back to BROWSE

When asked to SAVE the layout, do so and you should get a crash.

Here is the start of the crash report.  I have the full report if someone at FMP needs it to fix this problem.

Process:         FileMaker Pro [879]

Path:            /Applications/FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro

Identifier:      com.filemaker.client.advanced

Version:         11.0.1 (11.0.1)

Code Type:       X86 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [313]

Date/Time:       2010-03-28 21:30:20.594 -0400

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D573)

Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:          337247 sec

Crashes Since Last Report:           6

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  3574 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   6

Anonymous UUID:                      4407EAB6-0FD2-4C28-B5CB-E07BE04A463D

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000003fffaef7

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   ???                           0x04127f02 0 + 68321026

1   com.filemaker.client.advanced 0x00033d16 CocoaCommandHandled + 38

• 8. Re: FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro
                        TSGal

pderby:

I am unable to locate a Mac with the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT driver.  The closest I came was a GeForce 7300, and I was unable to replicate the problem.

I have forwarded your findings to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  When I hear back from them, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro
                          pderby

TSGal,

The Unibody MacBook Pro laptops have two internal video cards:  Nvidia GeForce 9400M and Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT.  My particular laptop is the 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo machine.  It is less than a year old.  The current MacBook Pro machines still use these two video cards.  Check out this web site for the details:  http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/graphics.html You use "energy saver"  in system preferences to choose either "Better battery life" which causes the 9400M to be used or "Higher performance" which causes the 9600GT to be used.

Maybe you could get your parent company, Apple, to spring for some current equipment to go with your current release of FMP so you could reproduce the bugs we report.

Paul

• 10. Re: FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro
                            PatrickR

Hi

I experiences crashes as well, but only if the files are hosted by FileMaker Server 10

OS: 10.6.2 on a Macbook Pro with the GeForce 9400M and GeForce 9600 GT

FileMaker Advanced 11.0v.1 (5.3.2010 - Technet release) 

Server OS: 10.5.x

FileMaker Server Advanced: 10 (newest Patch installed)

• 11. Re: FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro
                              TSGal

pderby:

The reason I sent this case to Development and Testing is because I am limited with my hardware options.

Initial reports from two testers show they are unable to replicate the problem using identical systems as yours.  That is, MacBook Pro OS - OS X 10.6.3. Video Card = NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT.

I have forwarded the information about "Energy saver" and "Higher Performance" to see if this helps them replicate the problem.  I will continue to keep you posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro
                                TSGal

All:

Our testers still cannot replicate the problem.

Does this also occur if you have "Higher Performance" turned on?  Or, does it happen in either mode?

Do you have an external monitor connected?

Anything else you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro
                                  (O_O)

If you wouldn't mind, could you please place in the full crash log in separate posts?  Seeing the whole thread may give a clue in what lead up to the crash.  What I see is that a cocoa command handled may have caused an invalid memory address access, but I am uncertain what other things lead up to that.

• 14. Re: FileMaker 11 crashes on Mac Pro
                                    ericwlacroix_1

I have the 17" 2009 Unibody MacBook Pro with the video adapters mentioned below. I am running 10.5.8.  My laptop crashes whenever I try to save a layout with a chart object.  I am already using the "Better battery life" option even when on the Power adapter. I'm using FileMaker Advanced 11.0v1. I have this problem on brand new data files. I launch FileMaker, create a new database, add some fields to the default table, make a new layout, drop on a chart object, set up the chart information and try to save... crash.  Every time. It has yet to work.

System Configuration

• Model: MacBookPro5,2, BootROM MBP52.008E.B05, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 4 GB
                                    • Graphics: kHW_NVidiaGeForce9600MGTItem, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, spdisplays_pcie_device, 512 MB
                                    • Graphics: kHW_NVidiaGeForce9400MItem, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, sppci_pci_device, 256 MB
                                    • Memory Module: global_name
                                    • AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8D), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.21)
                                    • Bluetooth: Version 2.1.10f2, 2 service, 1 devices, 2 incoming serial ports
                                    • Network Service: Built-in Ethernet, Ethernet, en0
                                    • Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
                                    • Network Service: Parallels Host-Guest, Ethernet, en3
                                    • Network Service: Parallels NAT, Ethernet, en2
                                    • Serial ATA Device: ST9500420ASG, 465.76 GB
                                    • Serial ATA Device: MAT**bleep**ADVD-R   UJ-868      LOL!!! it bleeped my optical drive
                                    • USB Device: Keyboard Hub, (null) mA
                                    • USB Device: Apple Keyboard, (null) mA
                                    • USB Device: Built-in iSight, (null) mA
                                    • USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, (null) mA
                                    • USB Device: IR Receiver, (null) mA
                                    • USB Device: BRCM2046 Hub, (null) mA
                                    • USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, (null) mA