4 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2010 10:49 AM by TSGal

FileMaker 11 Relations behaving differently than in FileMaker 10

Summary

FileMaker 11 Relations behaving differently than in FileMaker 10

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 11.0v1Operating System(s) involved:Mac 10.6.3Detailed description of the issue: This image will help display the problem:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/109195/CampDB-FM11-vs-FM10.jpg The problem is that this database works in FileMaker 10, but the exact same database will not calculate the siblings in FileMaker 11. Same DB, different behavior. Has anyone reported this? I'm not sure where it is failing, but I have a feeling could be Custom Functions, Relations, or Field Calcs not going 'deep' enough to finish calcuating. Our relations are very deep and some relations rely on other relations for the calculations to work. Again, this works in 10, but not 11. Since it's not working in FM11, we're looking at rebuilding 'hardcoded' relationships to define each familial relation with many more relations to simply the model. What it comes down to for our client is that a FileMaker 10 DB isn't working the same way as it does in FileMaker 11. I didn't see any reasons in the 'changes in behavior' tech note. We created a table of relationships that are effectively join records to define how one contact is related to another contact. The user only enters the information to state that 'Joe is the Parent of Sue'. Only Parent/Child and Spousal records are created by the user. From these records, we have relations and calculations that define the reciprocal relationships like 'Sue is the Child of Joe', siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, etc. The relationships calcs and relationships looks really confusing, but it works. If I could do it over again, I would simplify it. We're not using the new filtered portals feature. All the data are from FM data sources in the same database file. I have a feeling it has to do with the depth of the relations or custom function recursion levels. Something in FM11 appears to act different. For instance if:Joe is the Parent of SueJoe is the Parent of BillWe have a calc on the Contact to show siblings. From Bill's records, we relate to Joe and show Joe's children, after removing Joe. I can send a copy of the example database so you can replicate the problem. Just tell me where to send it. When it opens, click 'Master Entry' which will take you to a camper named Clayton Standridge. Clayton and Walter are brothers. There are only four records in this database file to make it easier to deal with. I've removed unneeded layouts, tables, fields, and table occurrences. In both FileMaker 10 and FileMaker 11 Clayton and Walter should have values in the RelationsDataUnstored2Siblings, Relations_IDSiblingsDIRECTBROTHERS, Relations_IDParentsCHILDRENSONS fields as shown in the screenshots below.  These are calc fields based on lists of values from related tables and other calcs. I've tried it via Server 10 connecting from FileMaker 10 Advanced and FileMaker 11 Advanced and also directly from FileMaker 10 Advanced and FileMaker 11 Advanced without using FileMaker Server. The only thing that works is opening the db in FileMaker 10. Thank you so much for your help!  Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1. Open the database in FileMaker 11.2. Note the lack of values in the red fields for the Water and Clayton records.3. Open the database in FileMaker 10.4. Note the existence of values in the red fields for the Water and Clayton records. Expected Result:I would expect to have the fields behave the same in both FileMaker 11 and 10. Actual Result:The relations fail in FileMaker 11 Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:N/A Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:Rosemary Tietge is aware of this issue and requested that I submit this problem. Any workarounds that you have found:Other than using FileMaker 10, no.