1 2 3 Previous Next 74 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2010 10:50 PM by ralvy

FileMaker 11 Runtime Error

boyk

Summary

FileMaker 11 Runtime Error

Description of the issue

Hi I get the following error when trying to load a runtime database onto either an XP or Windows 7 computer: "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." I don't get this error if loading the runtime database onto a Windows 7 computer that already has the full version of FileMaker 11 Advanced loaded.  I also don't get this error if I build the runtime using FileMaker 10 Advanced.  I've never come across this error before. Any solutions? Regards David

• 1. Re: FileMaker 11 Runtime Error
          Steve Wright

I saw this at the pre-release stage, but have not tested a runtime on windows XP yet.

This could be a major concern.

Out of interest what service pack do you have on XP

• 2. Re: FileMaker 11 Runtime Error
            Steve Wright

I just tried it on Windows XP SP3 and am getting the same message.

This is the first time in around 8 years the runtime seems to require additional dependencies.

A version 10 runtime has no issues.  I cannot find anything in the documentation, either im not looking hard enough or they have not included it.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 11 Runtime Error
              boyk

Am running service pack 3 on XP.  Basically I get the same error on any windows computer that doesn't have a full version of FileMaker 11 installed.  Tried it on Vista same message (no surprise there, hate it).

Have spent all morning working with InstallShield to see if that can get round it by identifying the dependencies, but still not working.  Major problem for me as I distribute a lot of runtime solutions.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 11 Runtime Error
                Steve Wright

Same here.. lots of runtimes.

I have just done the rounds on all PC's we have here and on 2 of our machines running Windows 7 Home Premium with the required spec's I am also getting :

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail

Whereas another almost identical machine with the same spec's it works fine.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 11 Runtime Error
                  boyk

I found a reference in the user guide fro FM Pro 11 Advanced, page 13.  It states that for windows the proper distribution method for runtime is to use installer software (though I do this, it was never really necessary to run the database).  It sites an issue with Vista reference the need for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86).  I found references to this when I just put the error message in google, in relation to other applications.  I downloaded this from Microsoft, then updated it to the latest patch, and tried to open my database.  It still failed, only this time I got the following error message:

The application failed to initiate properly (0xc0150002)

So took the package off again.  Also within my InstallShield application amongst the many dependant file options I have, it doesn't list the above.  I also found a reference to the same error message (first quoted) being an issue for some developers using version 10 on the FM Forums site.  Sadly no real answer.

Don't understand why 10 works and 11 doesn't, but wouldn't mind if I knew what dependancies I needed to include!

If only everyone used Mac's.

• 6. Re: FileMaker 11 Runtime Error
                    Steve Wright

I also install Visal C++ 2008 SP1, along with .net framework as part of my runtime solution, but this has not solved it for me...

There has to be something we are missing... Im doing a comparison between a working machine and a non working machine to track it down at the moment.

• 7. Re: FileMaker 11 Runtime Error
                      Steve Wright

My apologies... In my particular cases I was overlooking the fact that I was not installing 2008 SP1

This has solved the problem for me on all machines I tried it on.

• 8. Re: FileMaker 11 Runtime Error
                        boyk

Well that made me think.  I reinstalled 2008 SP1, rebuilt my installation package, deployed and it worked.  Guess was a question of sequence.

Whilst Visual C++ 2008 SP1 didn't work on it's own, this was probably due to another issue subsequently correct within the configuration of the windows installer package.  Will need to test on a few more PC's to be completely happy.

Thanks!

• 9. Re: FileMaker 11 Runtime Error
                          Shayne-Bo

Same problem here.  Vista, XP, W7 32,and W7 64 (without FM installed)...

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail"

No problems, as long as FM is installed, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

• 10. Re: FileMaker 11 Runtime Error
                            Steve Wright

Did you download Visual C++ 2008sp1 runtime components and install

From Here for 32bit : Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

From Here for 64bit : Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)

These will need to be deployed with your runtime and installed using an install maker tool, such as inno setup.

A bit of a pain since thats another 8mb of files to have to package, but such is life... the anti-flicker on Windows will make it all worth while in the end :-P

• 11. Re: FileMaker 11 Runtime Error
                              Shayne-Bo

Thanks SWS!  That did it... But what a pain. 

Why do we have to do this with FM11?  FM10 had no issues, that I know of.

• 12. Re: FileMaker 11 Runtime Error
                                TomHays

Does the requirement to have my runtime users install MS Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package also mean that I need my runtime users to have administrative rights to the machine?

Up to this point, I have the user install the runtime folder into their personal documents area.  Does the Microsoft package require admin rights to install?

• 13. Re: FileMaker 11 Runtime Error
                                  dialoguy

2008 SP1. This sounds like a bigger deal than I'm prepared for. First of all, I'm wondering where and what it is, but beyond that I'm thinking about my IT department, and wondering, too, how I'm going to persuade all my users throughout the building to install some arcane software just to open our little database. The whole idea is that it's CONVENIENT.... suddenly -- in the wonderful new upgrade -- it is really NOT convenient.

Can you provide a fuller guidance to what you've installed and its appropriateness for my computer: Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Thanks.

• 14. Re: FileMaker 11 Runtime Error
                                    Steve Wright

I really don't think its that big a deal...  Its no more difficult than it is to unzip a file..

I was more concerned at the fact that there is no documentation which explicitly states "C++ 2008 sp1 is required'

Visual C++2008 is just a set of microsoft runtime libraries... if you want more info, click the link... its all on the MS page.

A lot of applications require microsoft .net framework, its no different (well apart from being c++ and not .net)

... usually this is installed 'silently' with an application which you can also do with the C++ runtime libraries.

If your worried about having to do this in your IT department, then at the time of deploying the runtime, also deploy the c++ runtime files.  Its a 1 minute install...in fact you could probably install it quicker than you could copy / paste your runtime files.

Of course, if your installing Filemaker Pro, then you don't have to do anything.

1 2 3 Previous Next