AnsweredAssumed Answered

FileMaker 11, Java and Snow Leopard

Question asked by courtbowman on Jun 16, 2010
Latest reply on Oct 12, 2010 by IanBlackburn

Summary

FileMaker 11, Java and Snow Leopard

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Advanced 11Operating System(s) involved:Mac 10.6Prior versions of Mac OS and Windows do not exhibit this problemDetailed description of the issue:I have a reproducible problem using FileMaker 11, Snow Leopard and Java I am struggling with and I was wondering if anyone had come across it.  The easiest way to duplicate it is to open or create a file in FMP 11 and load a jar file. ScriptMaster by 360Works can do this, as do a number of plugins.With any jar file loaded, calling any java function over and over, like on record creation during an import, or any process a few thousand times in a row in a script will render FIleMaker unusable, processor peaks and never recovers.I can send a sample file if anyone wants, but thought I'd just check in and see what the rest of the community had seen. Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1.  Create any database2.  Using any plugin that can load a jar file, load a jar file for any java function.3.  Call any java function many times in a row, a looping script creating 5000 records setting one of the fields to a UUID for example would do it.4. Notice FileMaker become completely unresponsive....Expected Result:I would expect the processor usage to spike while the script is running, but to return to low levels this is not the case, the processor stays high in usage, and FileMaker stops responding. Actual Result:FileMaker stops responding. Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:I can sample the process and post the sample, if that is helpful, but will not do so unless asked as that kind of text is lengthy... Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:This seems to be consistent across all recent versions of Java.Any workarounds that you have found:This is only relevant with FileMaker 11, and Snow Leopard. Prior versions or mac OS, FileMaker 10 and Windows all solve the problem...

Outcomes