6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2010 12:27 PM by IanBlackburn

FileMaker 11, Java and Snow Leopard

courtbowman

Summary

FileMaker 11, Java and Snow Leopard

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 11 and FileMaker Advanced 11Operating System(s) involved:Mac 10.6Prior versions of Mac OS and Windows do not exhibit this problemDetailed description of the issue:I have a reproducible problem using FileMaker 11, Snow Leopard and Java I am struggling with and I was wondering if anyone had come across it.  The easiest way to duplicate it is to open or create a file in FMP 11 and load a jar file. ScriptMaster by 360Works can do this, as do a number of plugins.With any jar file loaded, calling any java function over and over, like on record creation during an import, or any process a few thousand times in a row in a script will render FIleMaker unusable, processor peaks and never recovers.I can send a sample file if anyone wants, but thought I'd just check in and see what the rest of the community had seen. Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1.  Create any database2.  Using any plugin that can load a jar file, load a jar file for any java function.3.  Call any java function many times in a row, a looping script creating 5000 records setting one of the fields to a UUID for example would do it.4. Notice FileMaker become completely unresponsive....Expected Result:I would expect the processor usage to spike while the script is running, but to return to low levels this is not the case, the processor stays high in usage, and FileMaker stops responding. Actual Result:FileMaker stops responding. Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:I can sample the process and post the sample, if that is helpful, but will not do so unless asked as that kind of text is lengthy... Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:This seems to be consistent across all recent versions of Java.Any workarounds that you have found:This is only relevant with FileMaker 11, and Snow Leopard. Prior versions or mac OS, FileMaker 10 and Windows all solve the problem...

• 1. Re: FileMaker 11, Java and Snow Leopard
          TSGal

Court_Bowman:

Thank you for your post.

What version of Java is being used?  Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?  Are you using the latest Scriptmaster plug-in?

The developer of 360Works Is very active on the FMForums.com web site.  For Scriptmaster specifically, visit:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showforum.php?fid/215/keyword/scriptmaster/

Although I don't see a problem listed there specifically to your issue, you may want to post and see if the developer responds and/or confirms the problem.  This may help us narrow down the the cause of the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 11, Java and Snow Leopard
            courtbowman

Thanks for the quick response.

I have talked to Jesse (at 360Works) about it, and while it is most easily reproduced with his plugin. Any plugin that works the same way exhibits this behaviour.

For reproducibility purposes I am using the latest ScriptMaster plugin version (version 3.34) and Java version 1.6.0_20.

I have tested with a few versions of java, going back through time to see if I could find one that worked well, and haven't found one yet. 

Court

• 3. Re: FileMaker 11, Java and Snow Leopard
              TSGal

Court_Bowman:

Please send us a copy of the file and the ScriptMaster plugin.  I'll try it with a number of other versions of FileMaker Pro as well as different operating systems.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - envelope icon just beneath the blue horizontal bar on the right side) with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 11, Java and Snow Leopard
                IanBlackburn

This sounds very much like what's been happening to me, described here (including screenshots of processor usage):

Filemaker Server Advanced 11

I have the myFMbutler AutoSender email plugin installed, and it's set to execute every 30 seconds in five different DBs, so that's 14,400 times a day.

This is an absolutely critical issue for my company since we experience data loss every time this happens.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 11, Java and Snow Leopard
                  courtbowman

Subscribng to this post turned useful I guess. I thought I had posted my final results, but I guess not.

We ended up discovering a key component to the failure, it involved a memory leak in something that was evident when the java interacts with the gui layer of the application. We ended up being able to solve this when Jesse at 360Works added a nogui flag to their plugin.

If you have a way of disabling the gui interaction, I would expect it would resolve your issue as well.

Court

• 6. Re: FileMaker 11, Java and Snow Leopard
                    IanBlackburn

Thanks for the additional info - how did you discover the memory leak? Is this something that could be observed in Activity Monitor?