FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v2

Operating system version

MacOS-X Server 10.5.8

Description of the issue

While installing the FileMaker 11v2 updater on a copy of FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v1 it fails towards the end of the installation.

I ran a permissions fix and then tried again with the same failure.

Steps to reproduce the problem

On this system, run the updater, it fails.

Expected result

It shouldn't fail.

Actual result

It fails.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

The first message is "A valid copy of FileMaker 11 could not be found".  The second message is "Install Failed.  The following install step failed: run postflight script for FMP 11 v2 updates.  Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Configuration information

FileMaker Server 10.5.8 running on an xServe 2.26GHz Xeon quad-core with 3GB of memory and a RAID-1 boot drive.

Workaround

Have not yet been able to work around problem

FileMaker_11v2_updater_fails.png

• 1. Re: FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails
          philmodjunk

I encountered something similar and then figured out I was running the wrong updater for my system. The information above lists Mac OS Server and Filemaker Server 10, but you are running the 11v2 updater for Filemaker Pro.

Are you attempting to update filemaker server or filemaker pro? If server, then you'd have to purchase filemaker server 11 before you could run an updater for server 11.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails
            JohnDuncan

This machine has both FileMaker Server 11 and FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced installed on it.  I had already run the FMS updater to bring it to 11v2.  The problem occurred when I attempted to update FMPA 11 to 11v2.  The installer does not complain that there is not a qualifying product but rather proceeds with the update and then fails on the PostFlight when it is almost done.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails
              TSGal

John Duncan:

Thank you for your post.

We are investigating how the Pro updater will work on a server operating system.  For now, please check your Inbox (top of this page) for some instructions.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails
                tcmeyers

I am experiencing the same problem, but in my case it is on a MacBook with both FMP 11.0.1 and FMPA 11.0.1 installed, no FMS installed. Otherwise the description of the installer failure is the same, it appears to be working, but near the end I get the "A valid copy of FileMaker 11 could not be found" box, then the installer failure message.

I was able to use the installer successfully on our iMac quad-core with FMPA 11.0.1 on it (no FMP 11 plain) so I wonder if that's the difference.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails
                  philmodjunk

As I don't see any reason to have both Pro and Advanced on the same machine, perhaps removing FMP 11 from the machine and trying again to run the update would be your best fix until filemaker Inc. figures out what's going on here.

• 6. Re: FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails
                    JohnDuncan

Nothing wrong with having Pro and Advanced on the same Mac.  Its a great way to test and debug PrivilegeSets.

• 7. Re: FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails
                      tcmeyers

Phil,

The reason I have both is that I have only one license for FMPA, and many for FMP. The employees use the laptop for many purposes in the lab using FMP, but when I take it because I'm traveling, I like to be able to do advanced editing remotely if an issue comes up while I'm gone... in which case FMPA is not running on my desktop.

But I'm happy to trash FMPA to test this theory. I'll report back.

-Troy

• 8. Re: FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails
                        tcmeyers

Phil,

Trashing the FMPA 11 folder and emptying the trash (did not need to restart) did in fact allow the updater to work. This seems to be the problem. I've verified that the FMP 11 is indeed now 11.0.2.

I recall reading somewhere something like "if you have more than one FM 11 installation all will be updated" but this clearly didn't work in my case.

I guess I'll try reinstalling FMPA and updating again.

-Troy

• 9. Re: FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails
                          tcmeyers

Final report, I think. I reinstalled FMPA 11.0v1 and ran the updater again. I now have both FMP and FMPA as 11.0v2.

This workaround seemed to to the trick.

Now to reinstall the plugins and activate them.

-Troy

• 10. Re: FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails
                            TSGal

All:

Our Technical Support department was able to replicate the problem on Mac OS X Server, and our findings have been sent to Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) for review.

Troy Meyers - I assume you are not running Mac OS X Server.  What version of OS X are you using?

The reinstallation of FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced seems to currently work.  I will keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails
                              tcmeyers

TSGal,

Correct, this affected machine is regular MacOS, not Server.

OS version is MacOS 10.6.4

Deletion of FMPA, updating FMP, reinstalling FMPA, updating FMPA did work, and no further problems with that issue have cropped up.

• 12. Re: FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails
                                TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Thanks for the clarification.  I have forwarded this information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for further review.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails
                                  DanPeterka

I have the problem as well.

This is on a 2009 model iMac running 10.6.4. I installed our volume licensed copy of FileMakerPro 11.0.v1 and verified that it works. The updater fails in the manner described above (using updater file: fm_updater_11.0.2.220.dmg).

I've tried repair permissions, uninstall/reinstall. Re-download the updater and re-run. No luck. 

• 14. Re: FileMaker 11.0v2 Mac updater fails
                                    MartinBrändle

TSGal,

same story here:

MacOS-X Server 10.5.8, FileMaker Server Advanced 10.0.2.206 installed and running.

FM Pro Advanced 11v1 installs, but not the update to 11v2, which stops at the PostFlight process.  Trashing fmpa preferences and fmpa 11 cache did not help.

1 2 Previous Next