7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 5:05 PM by TerryReis

FileMaker 12 Advanced - Windows 7 - will not send anything to printer.

TerryReis

Summary

FileMaker 12 Advanced - Windows 7 - will not send anything to printer.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Pro Advanced 12.0v3

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

We cannot get any printed output to go to any printers local or network. The spooler starts up but nothing goes to the spooler.
      Have tried it with the basic templates supplied as well with no alteration. Tried from two different computers.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Try printing anything, anyway from within FileMaker, nothing will appear on your printer.

Expected result

Something will print

Actual result

Nothing will print from anything.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No message just no output from printer

• 1. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced - Windows 7 - will not send anything to printer.

Terry Reis:

Thank you for the post.

I am able to print from FileMaker Pro 12v3 on Windows 7. This tells me the issue doesn't lie with every printer.

I would start with FileMaker's Knowledge Base Article 5595 Printing Troubleshooting Guide.

Some user's have reported success after reinstalling their printer's driver. Please note that all printer drivers are developed by the third party printer manufacturer, so for assistance with drivers contact the manufacturer of your particular printer.

You mention two different computers. How many printers fail to print? What are these printer's makes and models? Are you printing over a wireless network? Can any of these printers be plugged in directly with a USB cable, if so, can you try printing via USB?

TSFalcon
               FileMaker, Inc. 
          • 2. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced - Windows 7 - will not send anything to printer.
            TerryReis

Hi Again,

A little bit more of an explanation.

We are an engineering company based near Birmingham UK.
            http://www.chromebar.co.uk if you are interested.

For a number of years we have been running a system with Microsoft Access which has steadily developed as the needs demanded and my skills developed. Over the last two years I have gone over to Macs at home (+iPads and iPhones). Recently I was somewhat dismayed by Microsoft's announcements regarding Office for iOS (as in, it won't work how I need it to). I would like to integrate iPads into our workflow.

So we decided to dig deeper with FileMaker.

The more we dug the more we liked the overall priciples.

So we made use of the current "Buy One Get One Free" offer for FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced. 

Because we already have a database design and a good understanding of the overall principles we have progressed quite quickly and currently have a lot of the parts we need as single user databases.

Everything works fine at home on the Macs printing to an Epson printer.

At the office, everything works apart from any printing from filemaker at all. Which is currenty a show stopper !

Brief system specs:

Windows 7
                 5 PC's Networked.
                 Each PC has a printer attached by USB.
                 All the printers are Kodak ESP C315 (and I wonder if this may be the issue).

The drivers and associated bloatware that comes with the Kodak printers is a pain, all sorts of issues. Although printing works fine with all terminals in Access, Word, Excel, Photoshop, InDesign. I long for the days when you could just buy a printer, plain and simple, not a printer/scanner/copier/teasmaid/alarm clock/lawnmower.

I will work through the knowledgebase article and report back, although you can take it as read that we have already ruled out the numpty, "is the mains lead connected" questions.

I will also bring my Epson printer from home and try that in case the issue relates to Kodak printers. I have my suspicions.

Many thanks for your prompt attention.
                 You may have gathered we are at the beggining of a move over to FileMaker which will take some time, our eventual intention is to run our own server and have remote access via iPads. It is good to know that the support is there when we need it.

Best regards,

Terry Reis

• 3. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced - Windows 7 - will not send anything to printer.
              philmodjunk

You probably already know to do this, but be sure to check the printer company's web site for the availability of update printer drivers. A while back, a lot of mac users reported trouble with various "bizhub" printers. Many, not all, eventually got things to work when they downloaded and installed updated printer drivers from that company.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced - Windows 7 - will not send anything to printer.
                TerryReis

You probably already know to do this, but be sure to check the printer company's web site for the availability of update printer drivers. A while back, a lot of mac users reported trouble with various "bizhub" printers. Many, not all, eventually got things to work when they downloaded and installed updated printer drivers from that company.

Many thanks for the tip but I don't believe this is the issue. All our printer drivers are up to date.

Cheers,

Terry

• 5. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced - Windows 7 - will not send anything to printer.
                  TerryReis

Hi,

It would appear the problem was the Kodak Printers.

We bought in an Epson XP-405 from home and it works fine from FileMaker.
                       It is strange that everything else prints ok to them and this what lead us to believe the problem lay with the latest addition to the system i.e. FileMaker.

To be honest my decision to equip everyone in the office with a Kodak ESP C315 was not one of my best. The claims of cheaper ink cost are dubious and the sofware (which up dates constantly, slowly and with plenty of bloatware) is a pain in the neck, at least on a Windows network.

So it looks like I will negotiating a bulk discount on Epson Printers.

Many thanks for your help.

Terry.
                       PS/
                       Anyone interested in a bulk buy of Kodak ESP C315 printers going very cheap ? :)

• 6. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced - Windows 7 - will not send anything to printer.
                    philmodjunk

It is strange that everything else prints ok to them and this what lead us to believe the problem lay with the latest addition to the system i.e. FileMaker.

It's not really that simple. FileMaker may just be interacting with the printer driver in a way that your other applications do not and if such trips over a bug in the printer driver, you'll see this issue only with FileMaker. And you never know, a future release of a new printer driver by Kodak might fix the issue.

• 7. Re: FileMaker 12 Advanced - Windows 7 - will not send anything to printer.
                      TerryReis

Understand.

As a point of interest, I have left the Epson printer at work and brought one of the Kodak printers home. It works fine running on OSX so the problem is obviously only with the Kodak Windows 7 printer driver.

But I am still of a mind to change back to Epsons at work, the Kodak's failled to deliver on their promise of cheaper running costs and still have terrible software which messes with network settings.

Again thanks for your help. We are back on course porting our system from Access to Filemaker.

Cheers,

Terry