Summary

FileMaker 12 import bug

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

This is a pretty large bug, and it only seems to affect files that were converted from .fp7 to .fmp12 format. I haven't yet been able to reproduce the bug with a brand new .fmp12 file created from scratch, but it is definitely there when you convert a file from .fp7 to .fmp12 format.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Here are the ways to reproduce the bug:

1. In your .fp7 file, create a script that has an "Import Records" script step in it.  The script options for this step should be set to:
      - Perform without dialog
      - Specify data source: Choose the same file that you are working on
      - Specify import order: Import records from one table to another table within the same file that you are working on. See screenshot below for an example of what this stored import order might look like.

2. Now convert the file to .fmp12 format.

3. Open up your .fmp12 file, and delete one or more fields from the "source" table (the table which was on the left side of the import window).

4. Now go back into your script that has the stored import, choose the "Import Records" script step, and click on the button for "Specify Import Order". This is where the bug crops up: You will notice that all the fields are improperly mapped, so data is being imported into the completely wrong fields. See 2nd screenshot (in next posting of this discussion thread) for example of what this looks like.

5. You'll notice that this particular stored import is arranged by "Last Order", but the bug crops up even if the stored import is arranged by "Custom Import Order" as well.

Screenshot_1.png

• 1. Re: FileMaker 12 import bug
          scottworld

Here is the messed-up import, as indicated in step #4 above:

• 2. Re: FileMaker 12 import bug
            TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate the problem with a converted file.  A file created under FileMaker Pro 12 does not have this issue.

Since this problem existed with FileMaker Pro 11, it appears the issue is transferred to the new file.

If I create new fields in the Source file, put the information into those fields, and change the import to include the new fields, then remove the new fields from the Source file, the import will work properly.

I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  I will keep you posted.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 12 import bug
              philmodjunk

This one's been around a loooong while. I remember getting caught with this one back in Filemaker 3 days... Don't know if it's been present in all the intervening versions as I switched to the "matching names" option just as soon as it became available. Nice to see that version 12 DOESN'T have this bug when importing from new files at least...

• 4. Re: FileMaker 12 import bug
                Vincent_L

Do you know if the issue persists even if you do a slight modification under 12 and save it. I mean just add a field machng, save it, then remove that dummy matching, an try again to reproduce the issue. Maybe the slight modification will force FMP 12 to use the new method and then get the FMP12 correct beahviour ?

• 5. Re: FileMaker 12 import bug
                  TSGal

Glitchtracker (et al):

Thank you for your post.

After further testing, once you convert your file to FileMaker Pro 12, you only need to revisit the Import Records script step, click on the "Specify import order", make NO changes and click "OK".  This will then reset the field import order for FileMaker Pro 12, and the import will work properly if you subsequently delete and/or add fields from the source file.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker 12 import bug
                    scottworld

This is great information! Thanks, TSGal!