FileMaker 12 much slower then FileMaker 11

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v1

Operating system version

Mac OsX 10.6.8

Description of the issue

I have a Database that has a 4 level hierarchy.  It has a script that runs through a set of related records and forces an update.

I compared the converted File to the original.  Below are the results of the test both running on a local disk and from FMS.

Number of records processed: 1958
      FileMaker 11 to local disk:  27 seconds
      FileMaker 11 to FMS 11: 40 seconds
      FileMaker 12 to local disk: 30 seconds
      FileMaker 12 to FMS 12: 51 seconds

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open database select record, run script.

Expected result

Expected FileMaker 12 to be faster then FileMaker 11 both to the local disk and to FileMaker Server

Actual result

FileMaker 11 is much faster then FileMaker 12

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No errors reported.  System slower in 12 then 11.

Configuration information

FileMaker Advanced 11.0v4 running on a MacBook Pro 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo,  8 Gbytes 1067 Mhz DDR3 ram, OsX 10.6.8.

FileMaker Advanced 12.0v1 running on a MacBook Pro 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo,  8 Gbytes 1067 Mhz DDR3 ram, OsX 10.6.8.

FileMaker Server 11 11.0.4.404 running on Mac Mini Server 2.53 GHz Intel Dore 2 Duo with 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 ram OS X Server 10.6.8

FileMaker Server 12 12.0.1.178 running on Mac Mini Server 2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ram, OS X Server 10.7.3 (11D50)

Workaround

None other then to continue using FM 11.

• 1. Re: FileMaker 12 much slower then FileMaker 11
          TSGal

bherbac:

Thank you for your post.

We are seeing some performance issues that we would like to address.  Therefore, I would like to get a copy of your FileMaker Pro 11 database file so we can test, convert, and determine the cause of the slower performance in FileMaker Pro 12.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the database file.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 12 much slower then FileMaker 11
            DanieleColaci

Hello!

I'm having the same issue, but my database is slower even when scrolling through the window!

it's not smooth in many of the formats I made.

I know that my database might not be very "polished" since I "self-taught" myself through FileMaker, but still did not expect such performance loss from a FM 11 to 12.

Hope you find a solution!

thanks in advance

Daniele

• 3. Re: FileMaker 12 much slower then FileMaker 11
              awebers

Hi:

I have to totally agree upon that.
              We have a layout with a lot of calculations in underlying records, the time to show the layout raises from 1 to 5 seconds.
              This does not sound a lot, but for daily work it is a real handicap.

Switching by tab to a portal with two calculation fields out of the above set always takes about two seconds.
              In FM11 it has barely a delay.
              Deleting the two calculation fields of the portal, FM12 seams to be as fast as FM11 in this case.

To me it seams to be about calculation fields.

I hope you can fix it soon.

Thanks,

Axel

• 4. Re: FileMaker 12 much slower then FileMaker 11
                TSGal

Axel Webers:

Thank you for your post.

For clarification, are the calculation fields in the related table or are they in the current table referencing the data in the related table?

Are the calculation fields stored or unstored?

How many related records display in the portal?  That is for the average record, is there 5 related records? 100 related records?

What is the formulae of the two calculation fields?

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 12 much slower then FileMaker 11
                  awebers

Hi:

This is just the actual subset of tables:

LEVEL-A-Table -- id --< Level-B (Calc-Fields) -- id , volume, channel --< Level-C (Raw-Data and Calc-Fields)

Level-C calibration values and calculation
                          has repeating fileds (arrays[1..11]) wich calculate weight to volume and
                          then of that the average, stddev; and evaluates if it is in specification or not.

Level-B calibration head-records
                          has calc from Level-C (in the sample case 1:36; between 1:1 to 1:48)
                          the calc fields summarises the results of Level-C

Level-A customer order-item
                          shows Level-B in a Portal  (in the sample case 1:2; between 1:1 to 1:6)

The calculations are not stored.

In this case the portal shows just two "OK" or "Error" calc fields that are based on the underlying calculations.

We have around 35000 "customer order-items" per year which result in 1 to 4 calibrations with mostly 3 to 24 calibration value records.

The whole thing is quite complex and is running smooth on FM11.

The file has 430MB ...

If you need more details it is probably better to copy the file and delete customer identifications and send it to you.

Thanks.

Axel

• 6. Re: FileMaker 12 much slower then FileMaker 11
                    codecruncher

Switching by tab two a portal with two calculation fields out of the above sets always takes about two seconds.
                    In FM11 it has barely a delay.
                    Deleting the two calculation fields of the portal, FM12 seams to be as fast as FM11 in this case.

Axel Webers:

Could you verify if the portal with the two calculation field is slow simply because the fields have not been calculated prior to selecting the tab or if there is a general issue with placing a portal of unstored calculation fields into a tab object.

Since FM 12 only computes unstored calculation fields when they are visible you would have to copy the portals with the two unstored calculation fields onto the regular layout. You might have to decrease the zoom level to fully display the portals. Proceed by verifying if you still have the two seconds delay when switching tabs or if there is simply an additional delay when switching records. Thanks!

• 7. Re: FileMaker 12 much slower then FileMaker 11
                      TSGal

Axel Webers:

Thank you for the additional information.

We are seeing reports of performance issues involving calculations in Table View and List View, and from your details, this seems related.  At this time, there is no need to send in a copy of your database file.  I will keep you updated as more information becomes available.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.