Summary

Filemaker 12 Slow Printing

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Vista and XP

Description of the issue

It appears that FM12 has changed the printing process.  We do some large mail merge like print jobs ranging about 7,000 pages.  They are simple letters with no graphics and just changing the name an address.  Our printer is a high-end Lanier printer capable of printing about 1,500 an hour.

With FM 12, it appears to be treating every page as a unique print job.  I have also tried printing on our HP 5000 which is a slower printer but with the same results.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Just print.  You can also see the screen "struggle" to print each page whereas before it just flew through the print dialog box.

Expected result

Under FM 11, the printer just kept spitting out pages, now there is a pause between each page.  I would say it is now printing at about 300 per hour.

Workaround

I am trying different ideas as to how to temporarily fix this until FM fixes the problem.  Has anyone heard of a good work around.  I have seen several other postings about slow printing but most of it appears to be complaints rather than solutions.  Are there new preferences hidden somewhere that might cause this problem?

• 1. Re: Filemaker 12 Slow Printing
          TSGal

Bradley Bernosky:

Thank you for your post.

Other customers have also commented about the printing performance in FileMaker Pro 12, and our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue.  I have attached your case to the original report, and I will update you when information becomes available to me.

Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for additional information.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 12 Slow Printing
            lnadon

We are also experiencing slow printing under Filemaker 12. Printing to a HP Laserjet 5SI takes forever whether from a Mac or a PC. However, printing to a HP4250 is reasonably quick albeit a little slower than previously. On the 5SI, an 80-page report that we print regularly used to take less than 5 minutes to print can now take up to 2 hours! We also have a Xerox Workstation M55; printing to it from a PC is also very slow (we can't print to it from a Mac because it does not support Postcript). Please keep me advised of any workarounds since the HP4250, our only viable option at this point is not readily accessible to our workgroup.

• 3. Re: Filemaker 12 Slow Printing
              TSGal

lnadon:

Thank you for your post.

I have forwarded your comments to our Development and Testing departments, and I will also update you when more information becomes available.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker 12 Slow Printing
                edgecity

We are also experiencing similar slow printing using FileMaker 12.

Printing of any layout, even with just a few lines of simple text, takes at least 5-10 seconds per page to spool. Using Filemaker 11, these same pages spooled almost instantly.

The layouts which have a small jpg on the page as well, serving as a logo for letterhead, take over 10 seconds per page to spool. These also spooled almost instantly in FM11.

We are printing to a variety of HP network printers, but the majority are HP LaserJet P4010 Series and HP LaserJet P4510 Series. We notice that using the PCL 6 driver is slightly faster than the PCL 5 driver.

Incidentally, when I called FileMaker Support about a year ago regarding a separate printing issue, I was told that FileMaker 11 was not compatible with HP PCL 6 drivers, which is why we switched all of our network print drivers to the HP Universal PCL 5 driver. Is PCL 6 compatibility still an issue with FM 12? Can we now switch the drivers to PCL 6 to improve printing speed (slightly) without worrying about other issues popping up?

• 5. Re: Filemaker 12 Slow Printing
                  kcvojim

Just to add to the list of slow printing problems, my symptoms are almost exactly like the OP's. Has the development team figured out the spooling problem yet? This is very annoying taking 6 hours to print something that should take an hour or less. 

• 6. Re: Filemaker 12 Slow Printing
                    stanmcman

FMP12, FMP Advanced 12, FMP Server 12

I have the same problem... slow printing.  Anything / everything we print takes CONSIDERABLY longer to print under FMP 12 than it did under previous versions.  We have a couple reports now that used to take less than an hour that take so long, we have to start them at the end of the day and let them print all night, since it would otherwise tie up our only central printer all day.

PLEASE add me to the list to let me know when a solution has been found.

Thank you,

Stan McGuire

• 7. Re: Filemaker 12 Slow Printing
                      kcvojim

FYI, after talking with Filemaker, there is a work around for this slow printing problem. After you have pulled up all the records in the layout you want to print, if you go to Print Preview, there is a box at the top that says: "Convert to PDF."  I did this with one of my print jobs of 862 receipts. It took two minutes to convert and then all the receipts printed as fast as the printer could print. You might try this until they get the spooling bug fixed.

Jim McDermott

• 8. Re: Filemaker 12 Slow Printing
                        IsabelleGosselin

FMP12, FMP Advanced 12,

We have the same problem... slow printing.  Anything / everything we print takes CONSIDERABLY longer to print under FMP 12 than it did under previous versions. 

PLEASE add me to the list to let me know when a solution has been found.

Thank you,

isabelle gosselin

• 9. Re: Filemaker 12 Slow Printing
                          philmodjunk

Please note that an update of FileMaker has been released: FMP 12v2. It will help to indicate whether or not you are using that version when you report on this issue.

• 10. Re: Filemaker 12 Slow Printing
                            IsabelleGosselin

Using FM Pro Advanced 12.0v2 on Windows 7 and FM Pro 12.0v2 also on Windows 7 and still having problems..

ig

• 11. Re: Filemaker 12 Slow Printing
                              bbernosky

I upgraded to v2 right after it came out and it had little or no impact on the speed of printing issue.  We use FM Pro and Adv on a number of different machines and OS's and it does not appear to be an OS issue.  I am very dissapointed with how FM has handled this problem.  They have never contacted me to ask for input on the problem.  I have been using FM since the days of Forethought and was a beta tester for them in the mid 80's.  Someone needs to address this problem.

The work around of making a PDF for large print jobs does help significantly but it is not a cure all.  I wish someone would take this problem seriously and get it fixed.

• 12. Re: Filemaker 12 Slow Printing
                                oli@acm.ac.uk

Just spoken with FM support.  Really unhelpful.

We've upgraded to v2 all around (a FM12 Server Advanced setup running on Windows) with Windows and Mac FM clients.

The system is unusable when it comes to printing.

They didn't have anything to offer.

Dissapointing.

• 13. Re: Filemaker 12 Slow Printing
                                  kcvojim

Did you notice my post from above? If you have a number of forms to print, get the layout up and sorted then click on preview, that will give you the choice of save to PDF. When you do that it may take a few minutes, but when done the multipage pdf will print just fine.

• 14. Re: Filemaker 12 Slow Printing
                                    edgecity

Jim, your suggestion may be helpful for someone printing a document or two. Some of us, however, have to print several hundred documents a day, someties from a script. Saving as a PDF, then printing from the PDF is simply unworkable.

Hopefully, the FileMaker development team will work on a solution as quickly as possible.

Incidentally, I know that they are aware of the issue because I discussed it with a number of FileMaker engineers at Devcon, and they responded as if they had heard of this problem so often that they didn't want to hear it anymore. Obviously, a good way to ensure that would be to release an update with the slow printing problem solved.

1 2 3 Previous Next