4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2012 8:13 AM by codecruncher

Filemaker 12: Inaccurate and Unreliable: Conversion Routine Results in Errors To Old Records

charlesgeorge1@me.com

Summary

Filemaker 12: Inaccurate and Unreliable: Conversion Routine Results in Errors To Old Records

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v2

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I have used and appreciated Filemaker for over 15 years.  I have always been happy with Filemaker, but Filemaker 12 is not up to Filemaker standards.  I use Filemaker to run my small business.

Issues:
              The problems with 12 are just too numerous to list.

Filemaker has a real problem on its hands.

12 does not perform basic database functions:  it is unreliable.

I have shelved it for now.

Just one example, my general ledger on 12 was "out of balance".  In 11 it is entirely accurate.
           When reviewing 12's general ledger, I found errors in many records, even in old records that I have not touched in years. 

I could go on and on…  for example, 12 does not accurately and reliable add up a column of numbers.EXAMPLE:  I gave a quote on a tank kit that consisted of 10 records, the total was wrong… This is just basic stuff...

DON'T USE THIS PROGRAM… it is just chock full of bugs.

These are not just esoteric problems, these are basic database functions.

I purchased FM12 advanced, so I have a debugger… I did rewrite some scripts in fM 12 just so that some programs would run, but I have no faith in 12's ability to accurately store or reliably report data.

I am basically writing this to let Filemaker know that 12 has issues. In the mean time, do not assume that filemaker 12 is a working database program, it is not.  You and your clients will be sorry if you install and use it.

Any suggestions as to how to contact someone at Filemaker to let them know what a lemon 12 is?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Take any form that has subtotals, sort the form, and then watch the totals on the report change as you resort the form...

Compare Filemaker 12 Converted Files to Filemaker 11 Files, be prepared for some surprises.

Try running a script from a remote terminal that involves more than displaying a table.  Watch filemaker crash.

Expected result

Reliable accurate reporting for data: Quick efficient script runs; Accurate conversion of records.

Actual result

Unreliable data, perhaps even corrupted files

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages, just lots of records that were accurate and now are not.

Configuration information

I have a Mac computer in my office.  My two remote computers run my the point of sale system for my business. All my accounting, inventory, sales, disbursements, receipts, etc.  are written in Filemaker...

Workaround

Don't Use Filemaker 12:  If you have a large business or are supporting clients with your expertise, then you will be in for a lot of work fixing these problems.  My job isn't making Filemaker 12 work as well as Filemaker 11,  you shouldn't make it yours.