FIlemaker can't be put frontmost when running a CPU intensive Script

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11v2

Operating system version

Mac OS x.6.4

Description of the issue

When you run a CPU intensive script, if you put FMP in the background, you can't put it back to the foreground anymore. Clicking on the dock icon, command tabbing to filemaker won't do anything. If you can see the window in the background or with exposer, clicking on the Filemaker window will put the window frontmost BUT FMP won't be in the foreground anyway because the names of the frontmost app is not filemaker.

I think this also prevent script abortion via command-dot keystroke, see my other post.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Run a  CPU intensive script, put Filemaker in background, try to get it in the foreground again.
      My Script have all the freeze script steps.
      I mainly notice it when when Filemaker is executing an applescript or waits till a remote XML file arrives (most of my scrip do this).

Expected result

Clicking on the dock icon, a Filemaker background window, command tabing to filemaker should put Filemaker in the foreground

Actual result

Nothing happens, Fikemaker stay sin background even if you managed to get its' window in the foreground the name of the foreground app (upper left corner) is not filemaker

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Configuration information

Mac OS X.6.4 Macbook pro, mac pro

Workaround

None. Wait till script finishes !

• 1. Re: FIlemaker can't be put frontmost when running a CPU intensive Script
          TSGal

Glitchtracker:

Thank you for your post.

If any background application is running a CPU intensive function, this would affect the entire OS and would not allow you to select that application.  You will have to wait for the processing to release the memory so you can then select that application.  In FileMaker Pro's case, wait for the next script step that isn't "CPU intensive".  With your example, the next script step would occur after FileMaker Pro is finished with the "Perform Applescript" script step or finished importing the XML file.

In your previous post, if FileMaker Pro is active, holding down command-period will stop processing before the next script step is executed.  If the "Perform Applescript" is being executed, the command-period will be recognized after "Perform Applescript" has completed.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FIlemaker can't be put frontmost when running a CPU intensive Script
            Vincent_L

Thnaks

Ok, I understand better, so basically you're saying that a single script step can't be aborted. As I said in my other post reply I think they can if proges window shows up.

But in that thread I wanted to illustrated that to me FMP as a Window management issue on Mac OS X, the window can be put rontmost but the menu bar would be  the one from the previous frontmost window, you can't put FMP window frontmost when it runs intensive script, while I never had any problem to put frontmost other application windows even though they ran heavy cpu intensive operations.

FMP appears to me to have a window handling problem on the mac whil all the other mac application I worked with had no issue

Keep in minfd that I've a 6 core machine with 18 GB of ram, and SSD, so my os is not bogged down at all but the, alas singel core, FMP operation.