2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2009 7:47 AM by EIT

FileMaker cannot share files

EIT

Summary

FileMaker cannot share files

Description of the issue

Hello,  I have FileMaker Pro 7.0v3 and FileMaker Pro 9.0v3 on the same Win's XP SP3 computer.  While running FMP 7.0, I can share the .fp7 files with no problems.  I then close FMP 7.0 completely, reboot my computer, log back into our network, and open up FMP 9.0.  I create a new database from the list provided (for an example, I'll choose "Business - Projects -> Issue Tracking"), save it as "Issue Tracking.fp7", go to "File -> Sharing -> FileMaker Network", and then turn on the Sharing, confirm the file is selected, and select "All Users".  If I click OK, I get the message FileMaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro on this computer and the FM Network Settings window stays open.  If I click Cancel, then the window goes away with no errors.  When I reopen the same window, it shows FMP is sharing the file to All Users.  After seeing that the file is being shared, I go to a coworkers computer who also has FMP 9.0v3 and they can't see my computer (although we are in the same network subnet).  Then when I close FMP 9.0 down on my computer and reopen it in FMP 9.0 and it shows the same error message.  This whole time, FMP 7.0 is closed down with all sharing options turned off.

• 1. Re: FileMaker cannot share files
          TSGal

EIT:

Thank you for your post.

It definitely sounds like the file reference was not released from the network, and I don't know of a quick way to access and release that information.  As you discovered, rebooting the machine and disconnecting your machine from the network is not a solution.

Although using one copy of FileMaker Pro would be the ideal solution, is there a reason why you are running FileMaker Pro 7 and FileMaker Pro 9 on the same machine?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FileMaker cannot share files
            EIT
               Thanks for the prompt response!  I do not remember why IT kept FMP 7 on this machine (their logic is beyond me sometimes).  I will take it up with them to have FMP 7 removed and see if 9 or even 10 will work for sharing.  Thanks again!