FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12v1

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.7.3

Description of the issue

I am developing a database, hosted on FileMaker Server Advanced, and it's all working fine.  The next day, I log on and the file has suddenly become "not modifiable" when I go to Layout mode and try to change something.  Nothing in the permissions has changed since yesterday.

Steps to reproduce the problem

It happens randomly.  I can't figure out what is making this happen.

Expected result

The file should operate normally and allow me to change layouts.

Actual result

When I go to layout mode and try to move anything, the file gives me the following error message: "This action cannot be performed because this file is not modifiable."

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"This action cannot be performed because this file is not modifiable."

Configuration information

The file was converted from FileMaker version 11 and is now hosted on FileMaker Server 12 Advanced.  I am opening it in FileMaker 12 Advanced client through the "Open Remote" dialogue box.

Workaround

I have to close the file, recover it, and re-open it on the server again in order for it to work again.  This is very frustrating, because it's happening quite often.  The recovery process does not show anything was wrong with the file, but the recovery process somehow makes the file work normally again.

Screen_Shot_2012-05-01_at_12.07.48_PM.png

• 1. Re: FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"
          TSGal

Deepali Gokhale:

Thank you for your post.

Does this error only occur when you are editing a Layout?  Is it any layout or just a particular layout?  Do you ever get the message while entering or changing data?  Do the log files show any changes?  Do you have any backup schedules occurring at the time when you receive the message?

The Recover command will do its best to try and fix the file, but it is not a cure-all solution.  Do you have an old backup where FileMaker did work properly?  If so, you may want to revert to that old backup and import the data from the newer file.

Keep me posted with any progress and/or testing.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"
            infoCypher

Does this error only occur when you are editing a Layout?  Is it any layout or just a particular layout?  Do you ever get the message while entering or changing data? 

The error occurs when editing anything, including a field in Browse mode, on any layout. 

Do the log files show any changes? 

The log files on the server do show one line item that says:

"Opened database 'COH' read only because it has multiple hard links and may be a FileMaker Server backup file. You must make a copy of the file and open the copy to make changes."

I'm not sure why it would have "multiple hard links" or would be considered a backup file, when I was using the same file (hosted on the same server) yesterday with no problem.  The only thing that happened between the time I closed the file and re-opened it is shutting the computer down and starting it back up again.

Do you have any backup schedules occurring at the time when you receive the message?

No.  The only backup schedule runs at 11pm at night.  I opened the file and tried to modify it around 11am this morning.  The backup didn't actually run last night, because my computer was not on at 11pm.

The Recover command will do its best to try and fix the file, but it is not a cure-all solution.  Do you have an old backup where FileMaker did work properly?  If so, you may want to revert to that old backup and import the data from the newer file.

Well, the recover option is fixing this particular problem.  I have an old backup, but using that would require me to lose my work, which is something I'd rather not do.  I'm trying to get this finished for a client, and not feeling at all comfortable with asking them to go live on FileMaker 12 considering the many bugs I've been running into.  No one to date has been able to explain any except one of the bugs I've posted.  Unfortunately, there's no way to convert my work back to FileMaker 11.  All I can hope for is a newer, less buggy version of 12 to come out before we go live.  The other alternative is to revert back to FileMaker 11 and re-do a month's work for free, which would really make both me and my client very grumpy. 

• 3. Re: FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"
              TSGal

Deepali Gokhale:

Thank you for the additional information

To clarify some possible confusion, once the file is recovered, you can export the data to text files.  Then, in the database file from a month ago that seemed to work fine, import the text files into the appropriate tables.

Also, recover may fix the symptom, but it may not fix the cause.  This may be why it is working temporarily until the cause reintroduces the symptoms.

I would like to see one of the files that displays "multiple hard links" error message.  This may provide a clue why it is failing.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"
                infoCypher

The database file that was working fine was in version 11.  I don't want to revert back to version 11, since my client has already installed version 12 on his server and all of his 15 client machines.  I've had this problem since I've been working on the file in version 12.  If the problem was only the data, I would revert back with no problem, but I've been modifying the layouts, scripts, etc since then, and it would require a LOT of rework to revert back to version 11.

I can't send the database to you over email because it is too big.  Would you like me to send a clone?

• 5. Re: FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"
                  philmodjunk

I don't want to revert back to version 11

But you can take a copy of that version 11 file and convert it into version 12--assuming you aren't throwing out a lot of post conversion changes to the design of your file.

The error message you are reporting here is typical of when the operating system is keeping your from modifying a file such as a file that is write protected or is in a folder that does not allow you to have "write" access to its contents. You may want to review security settings on your folder and/or temporarily relocate the file to a different place to see if it makes a difference. It's also possible that you need to repair permissions on your computer's (not fileMaker's) user account.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"
                    infoCypher

But you can take a copy of that version 11 file and convert it into version 12--assuming you aren't throwing out a lot of post conversion changes to the design of your file.

As I mentioned above, that's the problem -- I've been working on the version 12 file for a month, and there are far too many changes to the design of the file to convert it back to version 11 unless I absolutely have to do that.  It was clearly a mistake on my part to upgrade so soon after the new version came out.

The error message you are reporting here is typical of when the operating system is keeping your from modifying a file such as a file that is write protected or is in a folder that does not allow you to have "write" access to its contents. You may want to review security settings on your folder and/or temporarily relocate the file to a different place to see if it makes a difference. It's also possible that you need to repair permissions on your computer's (not fileMaker's) user account.

Yes, I know, and I've looked at the file permissions.  There is no visible issue with the file permissions.  I haven't tried to repair permissions on my machine.  I will try that next and see what happens.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"
                      infoCypher

I repaired file permissions and the log didn't show anything related to the FileMaker Server folder or the FileMaker Pro folder that needed to be fixed.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"
                        infoCypher

Some more info that might help:

- The "not modifiable" problem only seems to happen while the file is hosted on FileMaker Server.  If I remove the file from the server folder to my desktop and then open it as a regular FileMaker Pro desktop database, I can modify it (layouts, data, scripts, etc.) without a problem.

- It seems like the file becomes unmodifiable when my computer has either gone to sleep and then woken up, or when my computer has been shut down and restarted.

- Some more specifics about what can and can't be modified: It seems like I can modify data in Global fields, but not regular local fields.  And though I can get into layout mode, the manage database dialogue, etc., I can't change anything related to the design of the database (layouts, fields, scripts, etc.).

• 9. Re: FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"
                          infoCypher

I think I've figured out what's happening. At some point during the past month's development, I had used the Backup Schedule to make a backup of the database from FileMaker Server, and then I had moved that file out of the Backups folder to a folder somewhere else on my hard drive, modified it in FileMaker client, and then uploaded it via FileMaker Server to be hosted again.  It seems that for some reason, FileMaker Server still thinks it's a backup file, no matter how many times I make and use a copy of it and/or recover it, and that's why when FileMaker Server closes the file and reopens it, it makes it "not modifiable".

So, the question is, what do I need to do to make FileMaker Server recognize that this is no longer a backup file?  I am currently trying to clone it and then import all the data back into it to see if that works.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"
                            TSGal

Deepali Gokhale:

In FileMaker Server Admin Console, be sure to close the database file.  Then, move it to a machine with FileMaker Pro, make the changes, and then copy it back to the server, and then open it again from the Admin Console.

If you have a backup file, then be sure to close the original file in Admin Console, remove it from the folder, move the updated file into the Databases folder (or the folder where you keep you databases), and open the file in Admin Console.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"
                              infoCypher

That's what I've been doing, and that's what is not working.  Let me try explaining again.

The new version of Filemaker Server does not recognize files in the Backups folder as databases (refer to your own product documentation).  You apparently have to "save a copy" of the backup file before you can use it as an actual hosted database.  The problem with my file is that no matter how many times I save it as a copy or recover it, FileMaker Server still fails to recognize it as a non-backed-up database. 

So the question again is: How do I get FileMaker Server to recognize that I am using a copy of the file that is no longer a backup file?

• 12. Re: FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"
                                TSGal

Deepali Gokhale:

If FileMaker Pro is unable to open the Backup file, there is probably damage in the file.  Therefore, I would like to see the Backup file.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"
                                  infoCypher

I already sent the file a couple of days ago -- it's the same file.  It's on my dropbox.  You can get it from there.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Client suddenly becomes "not modifiable"
                                    TSGal

Deepali Gokhale:

Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for more information.

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next