Summary

Filemaker clients not disconnecting after idle time

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows 2008 R2 X64

Description of the issue

In my server there's an issue where some clients are not automaticly disconnected after their idle period.
      The following is set in the server:
      Set maximum idle time allowed for FileMaker clients (minutes): 60

I've seen some clients being connected for more than 24 hours

Also sometimes I cannot close any of the idle connections, I have to restart the filemaker server service, or reboot the server.

• 1. Re: Filemaker clients not disconnecting after idle time
          TSGal

Luuk Kemp:

Thank you for your post.

Have you checked those clients to ensure they are still connected?  Is it possible the client ran a script and is in a pause mode or a dialog box is awaiting a reply?  This will keep the client connected.

Is there any information in the Access log and Event log that shows what were the clients last action?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker clients not disconnecting after idle time
            LuukKemp

Thanks for your reply,

Since I don't have the failing devices at hand, I can't tell for sure that the app is not still open, but let me describe the current situation:

The current time is: 21:49, there are 3 clients connected:

• 10:28
            •      
            • 11:41
            •      
            • 16:10

All three are ipad go connections (although sometimes it can also be pro) and their ip's don't respond to ping (can be due to the mobile connection)

Access and Event logs only listed my login since 16:10, so no other clues there.

Is it possible the client ran a script and is in a pause mode or a dialog box is awaiting a reply?  This will keep the client connected.

Does this mean that although the connection is broken, it won't close after X time of idling?

Thanks for your time.

• 3. Re: Filemaker clients not disconnecting after idle time
              TSGal

Luuk Kemp:

FileMaker Server continually pings a client to make sure it is still connected.  If a client closes a file normally, FileMaker Server will receive that information and remove the user as a client.  If a client crashes, the file was not closed, and FileMaker Server will try to ping the client.  After two minutes without an acknowledgement, FileMaker Server will then disconnect the client.  This also applies to FileMaker Go Wi-Fi/3g connections.  Separately, if there is no activity from the client after "X" idle time (the time set in FileMaker Server), then FileMaker Server will also disconnect that client.

If a client is still connected after several hours, FileMaker Server is still seeing the client.  Although this generally occurs when a client is in some sort of pause state in the database file, there have been a couple of reports where a client is definitely not connected, but somehow FileMaker Server still sees the connection.

The logs should go back further than 16:10.  I can't explain why yours only starts at 16:10.  The FileMaker Server logs should help narrow down the possible causes.

Until the cause of these hanging connections is discovered, consider automatically rebooting the server during a time when there is no activity so that you start fresh each day.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.