1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2017 3:36 PM by cgootherts

Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container

AlexReid

Summary

Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v5

Operating system version

Description of the issue

Filemaker will crash completely if you have acrobat reader installed and its trying to render pdfs in a container.
      Works fine one record at a time, but clicking at any speed between records starts to generate the pdf preview and crashes filemaker.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Install Acrobat Reader (current is v11 for mac)
      Create a filemaker database with 20 records with 1 container.
      add the container to a layout and set it to be "interactive content".

Add 20 separate pdf files, 1 per record.

in browse mode click quickly between records allowing the preview to load or not it doesn't seem to matter.
      Filemaker will crash with error bug reporter.
      If you load the layout in report view it will crash when you try and navigate around, often quicker.

It appears to be easier to crash if the container and the window are large, or if you link the size of the window to stretch with anchoring the container.

if you uninstall Acrobat reader, it previews with "Preview" and works fine.

Expected result

it previews the pdf.

Actual result

crashes filemaker pro

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Filemaker Pro quit unexpectedly.
      Click Reopen to open the application again. The report will be sent to Apple automatically.

Configuration information

tried with multiple versions of Java, Acrobat 10 (X) and have seen it crash with Filemaker 12 also.

Also tried Full Acrobat Pro, same effect.

Workaround

Uninstall Acrobat Reader.. which is not acceptable!

Screen_Shot_2015-02-23_at_14.11.18.png

• 1. Re: Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container
          Fred(CH)

Hi,

Just for info, here is a link to the original thread, from the november 11 2013 :

Records with a PDF file linked to an active container field cause FMP 12 to crash in OS 10.9

Courage, Fred

• 2. Re: Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container
            AlexReid

thanks for this, i don't find the filemaker forums easy to find items like this! clearly then this isnt going to be fixed anytime soon.

my guess is that they might fix it in filemaker 14 but make us pay for the bug fix.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container
              TSGal

Alex Reid:

Thank you for your posts.

Development and Testing are aware of this issue with Adobe.  I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

The recommended workaround is to not use Adobe PDF viewer web plugin under Mac OS X.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container
                TSGal

Alex Reid:

This issue has been fixed in FileMaker Pro 14.0.1.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container
                  rgschmitt

TSGal,

The issue has not been resolved.

I am running FM 14.0.1 and still have the issue over and over. The PDF in the container is almost unusable to the point of a need of total redesign of the data base. And that is a real shame since the data in the solution is 80% PDF.

RS

• 6. Re: Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container
                    Fred(CH)

RS,

A problem has been resolved for sure, since i am actually able to replicate this bug within about 30 seconds with FileMaker 13.0v5 and i am not able to replicate at all on 14.0v1 after minutes. 

I realize that is not helpful for you. So could you please confirm some things to have chance to find the key here :

1. What is your OS, and in which version ?
                    3. Which version of Adobe Reader are you running on ?
                    5. If you inactivate Adobe Reader Internet Plug-ins, does the issue still occur ?
                    7. Is there a chance you are running FileMaker Pro in 32 bit version (Get info) ?
                    9. Is Acrobat Pro installed on your computer ?

• 7. Re: Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container
                      rgschmitt

I realize that is not helpful for you. So could you please confirm some things to have chance to find the key here 

1. What is your OS, and in which version ?
                      3. Which version of Adobe Reader are you running on ?
                      5. If you inactivate Adobe Reader Internet Plug-ins, does the issue still occur ?
                      7. Is there a chance you are running FileMaker Pro in 32 bit version (Get info) ?
                      9. Is Acrobat Pro installed on your computer ?

Fred, thank you for the reply.

1. Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10.3 
                      3. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 15.007.20033
                      5. When the plug-ins are inactive; so far "No". But it is using Preview
                      7. FileMaker is running in 64 bit
                      9. Adobe Acrobat DC 15.007.20033 is running on my Mac

The problem seems to occur when I click on the button to load the PDF and it momentarily hangs, or is slow loading. I can click on the same link at other times and all is fine.

The problem may very well be the Acrobat plug-in, but FileMaker should be correcting this between them and Adobe since Adobe created the PDF format. This issue appears to have been for some time now. My solution is almost totally using data of PDF format and Adobe offers more then Preview in the container.

Thank you

RS

• 8. Re: Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container
                        Fred(CH)

Thank you for the answers RS.

The problem may very well be the Acrobat plug-in, but FileMaker should be correcting this between them and Adobe since Adobe created the PDF format. This issue appears to have been for some time now. 

I obviously agree with you.

It is pure speculation but it may be related to new Adobe version. 

After suffering of this bug during 3 years, i just recently did my tests with FileMaker 14 and all same software versions as you… except for my Acrobat Reader plug-ins which were still in 11.0.11 version.

If you allow me, and for testing purposes only, try to inactive yours internet plugins and temporary plug these ones (11.0.11) :

Does the issue still occur ?

• 9. Re: Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container
                          TSGal

RS:

It's not clear from your posts if you are experiencing crashing (like what is originally reported).  Can you confirm?

In #5, you said "I can click on the same link at other times and all is fine."  What is different between the times it work and the time it is slow?

Is it the same file that is slow loading?  Or, does it occur for any PDF file?

If you create a new layout with the Interactive Container field, do you still get the slow loading?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container
                            rgschmitt

Fred,

I tried the plugin but it didn't load properly and the container continued to use Preview. I'll try it again when off work.

Thank you for helping

RS

• 11. Re: Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container
                              rgschmitt

RS:

It's not clear from your posts if you are experiencing crashing (like what is originally reported).  Can you confirm?

In #5, you said "I can click on the same link at other times and all is fine."  What is different between the times it work and the time it is slow?

Is it the same file that is slow loading?  Or, does it occur for any PDF file?

If you create a new layout with the Interactive Container field, do you still get the slow loading?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

TSGal,

Yes, it crashes similar to the original report.

Nothing is different. On a layout I have a portal with over 200 rows with titles from the Specification table. In each row fields - Spec Code and Spec Title. A button covers the row and when clicked sets the code in the match field in the main table to match the Spec Code. The PDF specification is then loaded in a container on the layout that is not connected to the portal but the Specification table. It works flawless. But as clicking thru from row to row, sometimes fast and sometimes slow, the loading of the PDF seems to have a momentary hang and then FM crashes. I may click the same row a dozen times more and it may not happen at all.

May do it or not do it to any of the pdfs. It's sporadic and does not hold to any pattern.

It has done this on other layouts that have only 1 PDF in a global field

I have taken out the Adobe plugins and it runs fine with Preview inside of FM

It may very well be Adobe causing all the problem or it could be the FM programming code mishandling the plugin.

With all the complaining over the months and internet, it is time for some really smart FM and Adobe programmers to dig into their software and resolve this conflict. I don't believe it will be hard to duplicate. If the container is capable of handling the PDF interactively then it should handle the Grandfather plugin of PDFs and that's Adobe.

Bluebeam is coming out on the Mac soon and I wonder how it will work as a plugin. In the construction industry it is the program to beat. It's light years ahead of Adobe Acrobat.

Respectfully,

RS

• 12. Re: Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container
                                thornburg

We also experience this problem, in all the latest versions of FileMaker 13, and 14.

We are mostly a Mac shop, and viewing PDFs inside FileMaker has been no end of headaches for years.

The only solution offered to me (ever) was to remove Acrobat, which still didn't fix the problem (in FM13--I haven't tried that in FM14).  That's a ridiculous suggestion -- sort of like telling someone to switch to Windows instead of Mac OS (or vice versa).

The latest version of FMPA (14.04) seems to reduce the number of crashes (or maybe it was an earlier FM14 update), but they still do crash sometimes, and they almost never display correctly (try scrolling down, for example).

FileMaker, *please* fix these problems.  PDFs work fine in web browsers and all other applications we use, so this is not an unsolvable issue.

• 13. Re: Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container
                                  TSGal

thornburg:

Thank you for your post.

Can you post one of your crash reports up to and including the crashed thread?  This will let me know if it is the same Adobe issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Filemaker Crash - Acrobat pdf in a container
                                    thornburg

It seems (although proving a negative is essentially impossible) that the problem was resolved with the last client update.  The crashes I was still seeing were apparently on an un-updated client that I thought I had updated.

I'll report back if I get a crash in the new version.

Is there anything that can be done about the display corruption when scrolling?  (OS:  Mac OS X 10.9, 10.10 -- we haven't updated to 10.11 yet)

To elaborate -- if you display a PDF inside a container, and the pdf does not fit within the display (it has multiple pages, or the display is wide rather than tall), then if you scroll by any method other than clicking in empty spots on the scroll bar, the display of the PDF gets corrupted (some horizontal areas update while others don't).  This happens when scrolling with the scroll wheel, by dragging the scroll bar, or by dragging the page using the hand tool. 

They work fine WebDirect.

1 2 3 Previous Next