Summary

Filemaker crashes frequently

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7 Professional

Description of the issue

Filemaker 12 crashes frequently. It is worse on the PC of one particular user and always happens when she switches to a particular related database via a script. The first thing I did was a complete recover of said database although it did not appear to be corrupted, importing the data into a clone of the recovered file. Then I tried rewriting the script differently, changing the layout she switches to, deleting some unecessary objects on the layouts, all to no avail. My users are now asking me why we made the switch since they see no advantages and only problems... I usually prefer not to live on the "bleeding edge" but I guess this time I jumped the gun and installed Filemaker 12 a l ittle too quickly. We are also having problems with printing that is very slow on some (mainly postcript) printers.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Click on button to run offending script

Expected result

Filemaker should go to a related record in a related database.

Actual result

Most of the time it works as expected but 2--10 times a day, Filemaker quits completely and must be reopened.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Something about Filemaker being unable to continue. Will get the exact phrase next time it happens.

Configuration information

Problem happens more often on one particular user's computer running Windows 7 Professional. The computer is a 64-bit HP Pro 3130 MT with Intel Core i5 (650@3.2 GHz). She has 4 GB of RAM.

Workaround

Having a window with the offending database always open but this is often inconvenient since our system involves having as many as 20 windows open at a time.

• 1. Re: Filemaker crashes frequently
          philmodjunk

...importing the data into a clone of the recovered file.

Did you try just using the recovered file?

Have you tested a recovered copy of this file that is just a clone or just a clone with a few test records?

It's not impossible for the issue to lie with the data instead of the file.

Also, while recover almost always succeeds in repairing a file it doesn't detect all problems nor does it correct all problems so your file can recover cleanly and still have an issue. You might try the oldest back up copy you have, save a clone of it and import the data from the RECOVERED file into it for a test.

• 2. Re: Filemaker crashes frequently
            james_quiggins

Hello lnadon:

Thank you for posting. 

Issue #1 Printing being slow on Windows. Our development and testing department is aware of this issue. I have added your post to the original report.

Issue #2 the crash. Are these files hosted or local? Are you using any plug-ins? Would you be willing to submit clones of your database for testing? 

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.