7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2015 1:15 AM by Fred(CH)

FileMaker crashes in Mavericks

JamesMassey

Summary

FileMaker crashes in Mavericks

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced v12.0.5

Operating system version

Mac OS X v10.9

Description of the issue

I have been using a simple FileMaker database that tracks PDF insurance benefits forms. It consists of a single table in which records consist of 3 text fields, 1 date field, and one container field that contains a PDF image of the actual insurance benefit form.  This database has been working flawlessly for months until the system was upgraded to Mavericks Mac OS X 10.9. Now the database opens but if one tries to navigate through records in layouts displaying the PDF container field, FileMaker abruptly terminates (crashes).

Steps to reproduce the problem

If one tries to navigate through records in layouts displaying the PDF container field, FileMaker abruptly terminates (crashes).

Expected result

Display of record including PDF image in container field.

Actual result

Crash.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

FileMaker Pro Advanced quit unexpectedly.

• 1. Re: FileMaker crashes in Mavericks
          Fred(CH)

Hi James,

This has also been reported Records with a PDF file linked to an active container field cause FMP 12 to crash in OS 10.9 previously.

I linked both.

Bye, Fred

• 2. Re: FileMaker crashes in Mavericks
            philmodjunk

The tricky part about crashes like this is working though all the possible causes of the crash to try to identify the reason. A bug in fileMaker when used on Mavericks could be the case but there are also other possible causes of the trouble.

Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
                 Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

What is reported when you recover the file?

The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1.           Recover does not detect all problems
            3.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
            5.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file? (and if you do the same thing with a different file and get the same crash...)
                 That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 3. Re: FileMaker crashes in Mavericks
              JamesMassey

As posted previously (thanks Fred), this problem has already been described and solved.  The solution is to remove the AdobePDFViewer plugins from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/. This forces FileMaker to display PDFs using Preview, thereby bypassing the problematic Adobe plug-ins. Until Adobe issues an update for their plug-ins, beware of using Acrobat in Mac OS 10.9.

- James

• 4. Re: FileMaker crashes in Mavericks
                GeneHite

I'm opening PDF's with Adobe Reader constantly, without problems.  Only when I try to use Adobe Reader with Filemaker containers is there an issue.  How are we so sure that the problem is with Adobe? Feels more like an interaction problem to me.  Adobe readers are industry standard, one would expect Filemaker to work with them.

If it is some interaction issue, one would hope both Adobe and Filemaker would be working on it, together.  Filemaker saying don't use Adobe Readers is like Adobe suggesting that Filemaker users should use Microsoft database products instead.

Disabling Adobe Reader is not a solution.  It is, at best, a workaround.

Again, I surely hope someone in the FileMaker organization is working hard, with Adobe if necessary, to provide a real solution.

Gene Hite

• 5. Re: FileMaker crashes in Mavericks
                  Fred(CH)

Hi all,

Because two threads are living, i post here the results of my intensive tests :

The culprit were the combination between Adobe 11.0.4 components AND OS X 10.9.
                       This configuration always failed.
                  The presence of repeating fields on the database were not relevant.
                       Apple Preview AND OS X 10.9 always worked.
                  Adobe 11.0.4 components AND OS X 10.8 always worked.

Note : all my test were performed with FileMaker Pro 12.0v5.

Gene Hite :
                       I agree with you that FM developers should work on it. But it is also interesting to see the last line above. It is also coherent with the title of this thread. There are three software implied here...

Bye, Fred
                  • 6. Re: FileMaker crashes in Mavericks
                    JohnDCCIU

Just adding a data point:  FileMaker 13v1 with Mavericks 10.9.1 and Adobe Reader (or Pro) XI 11.006 still has this same crasher.

• 7. Re: FileMaker crashes in Mavericks
                      Fred(CH)

Good news here :

After some testings, FileMaker Pro 14.0.1 does not exhibit the issue anymore whereas FileMaker Pro 13.0v5 still does.

OS X Mavericks 10.9.5, Adobe 11.0.11

Seem like a good job has been done there oui.