Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12v2

Operating system version

windows server 2003

Description of the issue

Hello,

I face a problem where filemaker randomly crashes on a scriptstep "save as pdf".

filemaker pro 12v2 is installed on windows server 2003 machine.

the script imports some data from odbc, generates several lists, which are saved to a pdf and then send via email.

i get the following error in windows: faulting module DLI_PDFL91.dll, version 9.1.0.25, fault address 0x00041654.

Event Type:     Error
      Event Source:     Application Error
      Event Category:     (100)
      Event ID:     1000
      Date:      9/10/2012
      Time:      7:47:26

Description:
      Faulting application FileMaker Pro.exe, version 12.0.2.228, faulting module DLI_PDFL91.dll, version 9.1.0.25, fault address 0x00041654.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
      Data:
      0000: 6c707041 74616369 206e6f69 6c696146
      0010: 20657275 6c694620 6b614d65 50207265
      0020: 652e6f72 31206578 2e302e32 32322e32
      0030: 6e692038 494c4420 4644505f 2e31394c
      0040: 206c6c64 2e312e39 35322e30 20746120
      0050: 7366666f 30207465 31343030 343536

Anybody outthere with the same problem?

kind regards
      tom

• 1. Re: Filemaker crashes in scriptstep save as pdf on DLI_PDFL91.dll
          philmodjunk

Has this only occurred in a single file?

If you create a small test file and use a script to save as PDF, do you get the same results?

Can you test this on more than one computer?

Crashes can be due to damage to your file and the crash itself can damage your file, so for both reasons, it may be a good idea to run a recover on your file to see if any problems are reported. Even if no problems are found, I'd test the recovered copy to see if it still exhibits the same behavior.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: Filemaker crashes in scriptstep save as pdf on DLI_PDFL91.dll
            tds

Good morning,

thank you for your reply.

i tried the recovery, emptied the database (it fills up with ODBC Data)

Run the file on another computer with remote connection to the fmserver (the file runs on an filemaker server)

but still the same problem, after the creation of the 4th or 5th pdf, the system hangs and filemaker exits.

It used to work perfect in filemaker 11, the problems stared with filemaker 12. I updated already to filemaker 12v2.

• 3. Re: Filemaker crashes in scriptstep save as pdf on DLI_PDFL91.dll
              hmwall

Hello,

Apologies in advance for not being able to help, but I have the exact same problem, in several FMP 12 databases, running under Win XP SP3. The crashes when creating large amounts of PDF files based on FileMaker data are intermittent. Sometimes I can create 30 reports without a crash, sometimes I get a crash immediately. The PDF:s I try to create are sometimes large, but I cannot see a pattern (meaning crashes only with bigger files). I am using the file locally, i.e. without FileMaker Server at the moment.

I have tried:

* Upgraded to FMPA12 v2

* Recovering the file (this seems to make things better, but the crashes come back)

* Uninstalling/reinstallning Acrobat reader

* Putting pauses, "Write to disk", "Update Window, clear cache" into my looping script.

* Re-creating the PDF layout from scratch.

• 4. Re: Filemaker crashes in scriptstep save as pdf on DLI_PDFL91.dll
                tds

Hello,

it feels like the same problem i have...

I don't know what to try anumore. I am planning to install it on another OS.

But i am forced to stay on some windows, because i need to update trough odbc, and i don't have a driver

for mac to do this. Otherwise my filemaker would be running on mac....

thank you also for posting... i hope others will follow...to get a quick solution.

• 5. Re: Filemaker crashes in scriptstep save as pdf on DLI_PDFL91.dll
                  tds

Hello,

I updated to version FMPRO 12 v3, but still the same problem.

• 6. Re: Filemaker crashes in scriptstep save as pdf on DLI_PDFL91.dll
                    hmwall

Hello, 

same here, upgraded to v3 but errors still persist. They are intermittent, meaning I can not predict when FM will crash during a PDF-generation loop.

• 7. Re: Filemaker crashes in scriptstep save as pdf on DLI_PDFL91.dll
                      philmodjunk

One test that none of you have reported trying is to create a small "from scratch" test file to see if it also crashing when saving as PDF. Given that there are several of you reporting this issue, it seems unlikely that there is an issue with the file itself, but if you will try this test, you can then rule out that remote possibility.

• 8. Re: Filemaker crashes in scriptstep save as pdf on DLI_PDFL91.dll
                        Steve Wright

Not my posting, but one posted back in August on the same issue, same DLL fault

FMP 12 Crashing When Saving PDFs in Windows XP SP3

On the dev forums, this was brought up a few times, but this thread caught my eye, so I dug it up again
                             Particularly, where another user / developer has contacted FMI support directly and received the following:

We have been in contact with our engineering department in the United States in the hopes of finding a solution for your situation.

We have come to the conclusion that the crash is indeed caused by a malfunction in the interaction with the DLL's used for generating the PDF's.

Unfortunately it seems that there is no solution for this situation at the moment. The issue seems to be restricted to Windows XP alone. If you have any machines available running a later version of Windows, it might be worth generating the PDF files on there.

Alternatively, you could utilise any virtual PDF printer software to generate your PDF files by using a Print script step instead.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused, and hope to be of better service in the future.

Source:https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/96216#96216

Personally, I stopped using (or rather complement) the built in print / pdf facilites of FileMaker with a plugin from myFMButler named printerswitch due to the additional flexibility and of course, PDF's in runtime solutions.  But I believe this is an acknowledged problem, maybe not branched off to include Server 2003 alongside XP though.  

• 9. Re: Filemaker crashes in scriptstep save as pdf on DLI_PDFL91.dll
                          tds

Hello,

I installed my filemaker server on a windows7 64 bit and everything is working fine....

So the problem is only happening in windows XP and windows 2003 Server.

When the users login in filemaker server installed on win7 from a windows 2003 server, the problem is still there on the win 2003 server.

When i run the script from a windows 7 machine, i don't get the error...

i try to create a test file, but it seems it is only happening on files converted from filemaker 11....