Filemaker Crashes on Attempting to Print

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v2

Operating system version

WindowsXP SP3

Description of the issue

Filemaker crashes when I attempt to print. It also crashes when I attempt to access Print Setup. I click File and attempt to access either Print, or Print Setup and Filemaker immediately crashes. This is new. It has been working without difficulty until this week.

Steps to reproduce the problem

See Above

Expected result

Crash

Actual result

Crash

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

The only error message is that Filemaker has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Workaround

None.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Crashes on Attempting to Print
          TSGal

Robert Smith:

Thank you for your post.

What type and model of printer are you using?  What version of the printer driver are you using?  Are you able to print from other applications?  Are you able to print from a different database file?  Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Crashes on Attempting to Print
            Rewster

I'm having the same issue.. We are using a older printer OKI C1505n, using latest driver (which is like 2003... but still) I'm able to print perfectly fine within any of my other databases... But only in one of my databases to I have any kind of issue, and it only crashes FileMaker when I try to print specific layouts.

I'm able to print from these layouts on any of my other printers and computers... But only on the one printer does it give me this issue. Is there a list of compatible printers that work with FileMaker 11...

Any helpful advice would be most appreciated, I've tried uninstalling the printer driver and reinstalling but no luck.. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing FileMaker, still no luck..

Is there any kind of program installed on my computer that could be the culprit?

Thanks,

-Andrew

• 3. Re: Filemaker Crashes on Attempting to Print
              TSGal

Rewster:

Thank you for your post.

If this is only happening with one of the database files and specific layouts, it could mean the layout is damagaed.  Try creating a new Layout (don't duplicate the layout) and move some of the fields over.  Try printing after a few fields have been moved over, and continue on until you narrow it down to specific field(s).  If the new layout works, then delete the old layout and continue working with the new layout.

FileMaker Pro uses the system for printing.  That is, FileMaker Pro will recognize the printer driver settings and send information to the OS to let it control the printing.  The one printer driver that has caused issues is Konica, and the Konica web site does have updates for the printer drivers.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Crashes on Attempting to Print
                Mike_1

I am having the same problem. I have tried a few different databases on different layouts. Same result.

Filemaker crashes when trying to print more the one page.

I have found a work around though..  I am printing to a pdf to my desktop and printing from the pdf locally. It works but not ideal.

Please let me know if you have found a solution.

Windows 7

Filemaker Pro 12

Lexmark Pro Pinnacle 901

Mike

• 5. Re: Filemaker Crashes on Attempting to Print
                  TSGal

Mike:

Thank you for your post.

Do you get a crash in Preview Mode and browsing all pages?  Whatever appears in Preview is what is sent to the selected printer.

Are you able to select individual pages other than page 1 when printing?  That is, can you select printing from page 3 to page 3?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.