3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2010 11:33 AM by philmodjunk

FileMaker crashes when closing second window

besjes

Summary

FileMaker crashes when closing second window

Description of the issue

FileMaker Pro 9 and 10 (Advanced) crash when I close a second opened window. This problem has been reported numerous times via the Apple crash reporter, but so far I have not seen a solution to this problem.  Hans Besjes 

• 1. Re: FileMaker crashes when closing second window
          philmodjunk

"Apple Crash Reporter" suggests you are using a Mac system, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6?

Any more detail you can provide will be helpful:

Two windows from the same file or different files?

Do you see this with every file on your computer or just one specific file?

If you have access to a different computer, can you move the file to it and open it? See the same thing happen?

Are you closing the window with a script and/or layout button or by clicking the close control in the window's corner?

Is there any script that might start up when you close this window? (Check file options, if this is the only window still open for the file.)

The following link might also be helpful:

How to report product issues to FileMaker

• 2. Re: FileMaker crashes when closing second window
            besjes

System:  

PowerBook G4 17" @ 1,67 GHz

Mac OS X 10.4.11

FileMaker Pro 9.0.3 Advanced

FileMaker Pro 10.0.3 Advanced

Two windows from the same file... 

Closed manually...

There is a script that closes a linked file when closing the main file...

This happens with all files pretty much reproducibly, although I use this feature mostly with one database...

The only way around this I have found is navigating to a "dead" layout with no fields (my open screen) in both open windows before closing the 2nd window.

This still happens after I completely installed my PowerBook and FileMaker applications from scratch after a crashed harddisk...

• 3. Re: FileMaker crashes when closing second window
              philmodjunk

I suspect your file is damaged, but could be wrong.

What happens if you clear the option in File Options so the on close script doesn't run? Does it still crash?

Do you see this with every file on your computer or just one specific file?

If you create a brand new file with just a few elements to test this issue, does it show the same behavior?

If disabling the "close" script avoids the crash, examine the script for any possible issues. If you can't spot any, you might have a corrupted file. If a brand new file does not crash when the second window closes, you may have a corrupted file. In either case, test a recovered copy of your file and see what the recover reports and see if the 2nd window closes without crashing.

If the recover reports fixing a problem, or the recovered file works, replace your file with an undamaged back up file if at all possible.