Summary

Filemaker crashes when dragging guides

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS Mavericks

Description of the issue

Every crash I have had with filemaker (about once a week) happens when I am dragging a guide on the layout.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I can't reproduce the problem.  Perhaps it's just my configuration.  Nonetheless, I'm posting in case others experience the same issue.

• 1. Re: Filemaker crashes when dragging guides
          TSGal

Nihm Brisby:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, no issues have been reported with dragging the guides onto a layout, and since this issue is difficult to reproduce, I'll need any additional information you can provide.  For instance, do you recall if you were dragging a vertical or horizontal guide?  Is there anything specific about the Form that you recall?  For example, was the layout being designed for the Mac or an iOS device?  Did you drag the vertical or horizontal guide from outside the current layout size?  Does this occur with a specific layout or any random layout?  Do you have any plug-ins installed?  What other applications do you have running in the background?  Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down this issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker crashes when dragging guides
            philmodjunk

And do you get these crashes in just one file or in several completely different files?

Since crashes can damage a file and damage to a file can cause crashes, I suggest running a recover on the file to check it for possible damage.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
            3.           Recover does not detect all problems
            5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
            7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 3. Re: Filemaker crashes when dragging guides
              nihmbrisby

Thanks a lot TSGal and Phil.

Phil- This is one file I am working with.  Fortunately I read your post on crashes a ways back.  So every time filemaker has crashed, I have loaded from a backup (I try and backup every hour).  As such, the database I'm working on has no crashes in its history.  Nevertheless I ran a recover on a copy of my database and it detected no problems.

TSgal- I totally get that I provided precious little info.  Knowing I couldn't reproduce it, I just wanted to mention it in case it brought out others with similar problems.  If no one else has mentioned it and/or adds to this post- than I'm sure it's.... well it's not nothing, but it's not much if you know what I mean.  

Nevertheless, to answer your questions:

For instance, do you recall if you were dragging a vertical or horizontal guide?

I'm sorry I don't recall

Is there anything specific about the Form that you recall?  For example, was the layout being designed for the Mac or an iOS device?

Mac.  It's happened on a couple of my forms.

Did you drag the vertical or horizontal guide from outside the current layout size?  

I'm pretty sure this has only happened when I'm readjusting an existing guide.  And here's the thing- I know when it's about to crash because suddenly it starts acting wonky/unresponsive.  Like I'll click to drag it and it won't respond,

Does this occur with a specific layout or any random layout?  

It's happened on more than one layout

Do you have any plug-ins installed?  

No

What other applications do you have running in the background?  

Yes.  A Bunch.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down this issue.

Honestly, if no one else reports it- I wouldn't worry about it since I can't reproduce it- what can you do really?  I do appreciate your quick response though!

• 4. Re: Filemaker crashes when dragging guides
                TSGal

Nihm Brisby:

Thanks for the information.

The fact that you are crashing more than once is a concern.  The questions asked were to maybe pinpoint an area of possible trouble (guides, layout, Mac or iOS layout, plug-ins, etc.).  Although inconclusive, I definitely want you to keep an eye on this and if this happens again, please save the crash report.  It may help.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Filemaker crashes when dragging guides
                  philmodjunk

Even though recover does not reveal an issue, there is still a small chance that your file is indeed damaged. Try creating and testing a brand new, from scratch database file and see if you can get the same crash behavior. If you can't get the test file to crash when you work with guides, this suggests that your file has latent file damage responsible for this issue. (And when you restore from the backup, You may be restoring from a copy that also has the latent damage