FileMaker crashes when editing or saving finds

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I've been experiencing an inconsistently persistent program failure associated with saving/editing finds for 12+ months, and a search of the forum indicates the problem is previously unreported.

In short, FileMaker crashes (FMP window bleaches white and error message pops up) when I attempt any of the following:

-edit an existing find
      -save a new find
      -rename or edit a duplicate of an existing find

But wait, that's not all! Sometimes, it DOESN'T crash. Like today, for example. I had succeeded in editing about six items on a lengthy list of saved finds, then I closed FileMaker. When I reopened the database a minute later to continue editing the finds, FMP crashed, and kept doing so repeatedly.

Eventually, just opening the Edit Saved Finds window, selecting a find and clicking Edit stopped FMP dead in its tracks.

In the past, some of these crashes have been accompanied by an additional popup window saying that Windows is searching for a solution. But that wasn't the case today; only the FMP error popup was displayed.

I'm the sole licensee and user of FileMaker 11.0v3, which is stored along with my data files on a network managed by an IT group. I'm using a PC with Windows 7.

FMP_crash.jpg

• 1. Re: FileMaker crashes when editing or saving finds
          philmodjunk

Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
               Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

To rule out some other issues with your specific computer on Windows systems,

Select Run from the start menu and type in:

msconfig

Then, under the Services tab, you can stop all non-Microsoft services. If this solves the issue, then you need to look at what services you stopped and see which is one is the culprit.

What is reported when you recover the file?
               The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1.           Recover does not detect all problems
          3.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          5.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: FileMaker crashes when editing or saving finds
            tomasd

If you can repeat the crash again, install Debugging Tools for Windows and open Filemaker exe in it. Here is installation guide.http://www.sysads.co.uk/2012/05/installing-and-configuring-windbg-windows-debug-tools%E2%80%8F/

Firstly, open Windbg and go to File>Open executable ... search for Filemaker Pro Advanced.exe or Filemaker Pro.exe in your C:/Program files/Filemaker. Then you have to press F5 (Debug>Go) in Windbg until Debug>Go item is disabled. After that you can do actions in Filemaker and when the error occurs, switch to Windbg again (not closing filemaker) and look what errors are logged in window...

The log won't be detailed as we need, because Filemaker debugging symbols are not publicly available, but it can be more specific than Windows error message.

• 3. Re: FileMaker crashes when editing or saving finds
              AndrewSleeth

I should've followed up on this awhile ago.

Upgrade to FileMaker Pro version 13 completely remedied the problem.

It's been nice to have a fully functioning find capability once again -- an understatement, if ever there were one.

-- Andrew