FileMaker crashes when entering value list

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12v4

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.7.4

Description of the issue

FileMaker Pro crashes on a simple text-based value list if this list was previously based on related values.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a value list based on some relationship.
      Modify the value list to be based on a simple text list. In the value list options,the original relationship remains visible but greyed out.
      Remove the original relationship (I was not able to test this).
      FileMaker now crashes when entering a popup-menu based on the simple text value list.

Expected result

No crash.

Actual result

A Filemaker crash.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

FileMaker Pro has stopped working…

Configuration information

FileMaker Server 12v3 on Windows 2008r2 server
      FileMaker 12v4 client on MacOS / Windows

Workaround

Rebuild the value list from scratch.

• 1. Re: FileMaker crashes when entering value list
          Markus Schneider

I have had this only with corrupted files - i.e. last week with a migrated FM6 DB. Repairing (Recover) the FM12 nor the FM11 file helped - but repairing the FM6 file solved the issue.

Btw: The currupted file worked well - until one wants to alter the valuelist... 

I strongly recommend to use a backup - or to rebuild the specific file from scratch (in my case, the file was very simple, so re-writing was easy).

hth )-:

ps. Check out PhilModJunk's posting from today - there is some important stuff concerning the 'Recover'-function

• 2. Re: FileMaker crashes when entering value list
            philmodjunk

Here it is in this thread to save searching:

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
            3.           Recover does not detect all problems
            5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
            7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 3. Re: FileMaker crashes when entering value list
              JeroenAarts

Please note that we checked the file for corruption using 'consistency check' and 'recover'. FileMaker reports this file as being NOT corrupt.

• 4. Re: FileMaker crashes when entering value list
                tomasd

If Recover and Consistency check don't detect errors, then rebuilding your database should be irrelevant. But PhilModJunk is expert on Filemaker and when he says, that Recovery does not detect all problems, then I beleive him. If it is really true, then Filemaker is very dangerous with this behaviour.

How I know, that some of my database is not corrupt?

• 5. Re: FileMaker crashes when entering value list
                  Markus Schneider

just to make sure that it's file-dependant: Can You create a vanilla FileMaker-file with new fields and a new value-list -> and this file won't crash FM?

I've seen crashes when a file was migrated from older versions - with source-data like 'W 100.0' (number fields)... manipulating that value list crashed FM

• 6. Re: FileMaker crashes when entering value list
                    philmodjunk

How I know, that some of my database is not corrupt?

How do you know that any file--say an MS Word or Excel File is or is not corrupt? There's no way to tell absolutely 100% of the time that any file is or is not corrrupt on your computer.

As I said in my preceding post. Recover almost always completely fixes any damage to your file. But there are no ironclad guarantees. Thus, when a specific file starts acting up, you can't assume that it is not corrupt just because recover does not report any issues with your file.

• 7. Re: FileMaker crashes when entering value list
                      tomasd

Thank you Phil, it is good to remember this.

• 8. Re: FileMaker crashes when entering value list
                        philmodjunk

There is also a third party product: FmDiff that can check a file for damage. It may be worth the extra $$ to get a "second opinion" on the condition of your database file.