FileMaker Pro

Version

Advanced 11

Operating system version

Windows 7 64 bit

Description of the issue

Application crashes when opening data viewer

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Filemaker Pro has stopped working. Windows will notify you...

• 1. Re: Filemaker crashes when opening data viewer
          philmodjunk

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “Hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
          Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

What is reported when you recover the file?
          The file could be damaged.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

• 2. Re: Filemaker crashes when opening data viewer
            andyw88

It appears to happen fairly randomly on a range of files but I did have it more frequently on a particular file recently. So created a clone and re-imported data but same thing. If the data viewer is empty (no watched values) then fine. You can always enter a formula and 'evaluate now'. But sometimes even just clicking OK will cause the file to crash. And sometimes it doesn't crash until another time it is opened. I'm sure I read something about 64bit W7 a while ago but couldn't find anything.

• 3. Re: Filemaker crashes when opening data viewer
              TSGal

Andrew Wheeler:

Thank you for your posts, and I apologize for the late reply.

If the structure of a file is damaged, then creating a clone of the file would also bring over the damaged structure.  Therefore, find an old backup copy of the file and see if the problem exists.

I'm aware that a couple of months have passed, so if you have since found a resolution, please post here so others with similar symptoms can benefit.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.