Filemaker crashes when printing

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX Mavericks ( and every previous version since OSX Leopard

Description of the issue

Filemaker crashes when printing.
      This is an issue that has existed with versions of Filemaker and Mac OSX now for YEARS
      Why can't you guys solve it.
      Just look at your forums. It's been problem with your software since at least 2008.
      Come on SORT THIS SHIT OUT.

Workaround

I used to be able to print to pdf and then use a pdf reader to print NOW IT JUST CRASHES as soon as I choose print.

Don't you think 5 years to NOT be able to solve an issue tells you something about the competence of your software engineers.

Come on LIFT YOUR GAME.

• 1. Re: Filemaker crashes when printing
          tomasd

I am afraid your version is too old, but Filemaker 13 is around the corner...

• 2. Re: Filemaker crashes when printing
            philmodjunk

We use FileMaker 10 on Windows clients and servers in a high volume, high pressure POS environment that has to print out hundreds of pages a day to more than one kind of printer. We almost never see a crash.

Your report is lacking in detail. There are many possible causes to a crash from a printer driver that is not compatible to a damaged layout or file. And since a crash can damage a file and a damaged file can crash, it can be difficult to narrow down the possible issues involved.

But given other reports here, I would not be surprised to see compatibility issues with a copy of FIlemaker that old on the latest Mac OS. Even FileMaker 12 had to be updated to be compatible with it.

• 3. Re: Filemaker crashes when printing

Brett Hitchens:

Thank you for the post.

The following versions of Mac OS X were tested with FileMaker Pro 8.5 (Advanced):

"FileMaker Pro 8.5 Macintosh (Jul. 06) - PowerPC processor requires Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) or 10.4.5 (Tiger), Intel processor requires Mac OS X 10.4.5"

FileMaker Pro 8.5v2 and FileMaker Pro 8.5v2 Advanced were released for compatibilty with Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.

No future software updates will be released for FileMaker Pro 8.5 and any version of Mac OS X after 10.5 Leopard have not been tested or certified. These products were developed and released before these later versions of Mac OS X.

While these earlier versions may install and run on versions of Mac OS X later than 10.5, you may encounter installation and stability issues for which there is no resolution. We strongly recommend you use current FileMaker software.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker crashes when printing
                Markus Schneider

V8.5 was introduced in 2006 - 7 years ago. I agree with FileMaker that there is a 'time out' for maintainance of older versions.

But there is another point of view: Companies won't update their solutions or OS every other year - ok, some will do, but most of the companies in my environment won't.

After (IMHO) 4 years or so, we (developers) can ask the management to plan an update - but not after 1-2 years. Apple (Windows will do so sooner or later) brings up another OS version every year (mountain lion came out end of july 2012) - means that FMI will have to support 2 or 3 versions of FileMaker. If not, companies will no longer buy Apple hardware (as long as there are Windows systems running older FM versions smoothly) - or they will look out for alternatives.

One first step - an easy one- could be to test older versions (ie V11 with Mavericks) and jot down the results on the website (V11 is running fine here, without plugins).

Hate to say that - but I'm afraid that there are bad times coming :-(

• 5. Re: Filemaker crashes when printing
                  RickWhitelaw

Brett,

I started with 8.5 on a power pc G4. Probably Panther. I now run FMPA 12.05 on a quad core Mac Pro running Lion. I've gone through every FM and OS X upgrade since 2006. It doesn't surprise me you're having issues with 8.5 running on Mavericks. After all, there is no support for that combination and I would never automatically expect the combo to work. What does surprise me is the idea that this has been happening consistently through all your OS upgrades. Having done them all, I can say I don't remember having a crash while printing. On the other hand, I upgrade FM regularly and apparently you don't.