Filemaker created PDF not compatible with Adobe reader

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12 and 13

Operating system version

Mavericks

Description of the issue

When I create a PDF file from filemaker pro 12 or 13 it can not be printed from Adobe.  Preview on my Mac works fine.  Windows users can not open from Adobe either.  I was hoping the upgrade to filemaker pro 13 would have fixed this issue.  Can you help?

I have tried some of the fixes on this forum such as saving to adobe 7 or greater but same result.  A file that does not print with any product other than preview.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Either save the records as a PDF or do a file print and save as PDF.  The output file can be opened by both preview and Adobe but can only be printed by preview.  When I give the file to a windows user they do not have preview so they can not print the file out.  It times out!

Expected result

Allow Printing of PDF files created by filemaker pro 13 with other users.  Especially Windows users.

Actual result

PDF files created by filemaker pro can only be printed using Preview App on a Mac

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: Filemaker created PDF not compatible with Adobe reader
          TSGal

Jay Rosen:

Thank you for your post.

There does appear to be an issue with Adobe products and printing under Mavericks.  First, from the Apple forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5470561

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23631346

On the Adobe forums:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5955587

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker created PDF not compatible with Adobe reader
            JayRosen

Thanks TSGal,

Is there a solution for the folks that I give the PDF file to which have windows machines?  It seems like a filemaker issue since the pdf file is created with filemaker and can not be printed by anything other than preview.  My windows friends can not print the file with Adobe reader.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jay

• 3. Re: Filemaker created PDF not compatible with Adobe reader
              TSGal

Jay Rosen:

I am unable to replicate the issue.  Here are the steps I took:

1. On my Mac, I launched FileMaker Pro 13.0v1.  I created a file, pulled down the File menu and selected Save/Send Records As -> PDF...

2. I saved the file to the Desktop, and opened the file in Preview.  I then printed the file.

3. I moved the PDF file to my Windows 7 machine, and opened it in Adobe Reader.  I then printed the PDF file to my printer.

4. I launched FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 on my Windows 7 machine.  After creating a similar file, I pulled down the File menu and selected Save/Send Records As -> PDF...

5. I saved the file to the Desktop, opened the PDF file in Preview, and printed.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker created PDF not compatible with Adobe reader
                philmodjunk

Jay Rosen,

I suggest uploading a screen shot of one of the problem PDF's if possible. TSGal can check that to see if there are any specific layout elements that she needs to replicate in her test to try and reproduce the issue.

It may also be beneficial for the two of you to compare adobe versions and make sure that you are both testing this with the same reader version.

• 5. Re: Filemaker created PDF not compatible with Adobe reader
                  TSGal

PhilModJunk:

You're right.  I should have included the version of Adobe Reader on Windows 7.

Adobe Reader XI - version 11.0.5

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker created PDF not compatible with Adobe reader
                    JayRosen

TSGal:

I am using the same versions of Filemaker and Adobe reader.  

Have you tried printing the PDF file you created on your Mac with the Adobe app on your Mac?  That does not work for me.  I can print from preview all day long.

Also, I can not print the PDF File created on my Mac with a windows machine with Adobe reader XI.

Let me know if you can do that?

I can always send you the database I have.  I do have several container fields with photos in the data base.

Thanks,

Jay

• 7. Re: Filemaker created PDF not compatible with Adobe reader
                      TSGal

Jay Rosen:

As mentioned in my first reply, there appears to be some issues printing from Adobe products under Mavericks.  However, on my iMac running Mac OS X 10.9.1, I created a test file with a couple of text fields, pulled down the File menu and selected "Save/Send Records As -> PDF...".  I then launched Adobe Reader XI - 11.0.04, opened the FileMaker created PDF File, and then printed it to a printer.  I then moved the PDF file over to my Windows 7 machine, launched Adobe Reader XI - 11.0.5, opened the PDF file, and printed it successfully to the same network printer.

My network printer is an HP p3005.

On my Windows 7 machine, no other applications are running.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down possible causes.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Filemaker created PDF not compatible with Adobe reader
                        philmodjunk

Just by reading the comments posted, there appears to be one possible difference between what TSGal and Jay Rosen are doing:

I do have several container fields with photos in the data base.

I created a test file with a couple of text fields,

Perhaps it's the presence of a container field on the layout. Perhaps a specific type of file in the container field is the culprit.

• 9. Re: Filemaker created PDF not compatible with Adobe reader
                          TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thanks for reviewing.

I have added two Container fields to the original file.  I made one of the Container fields interactive, and inserted a PDF file.  The other Container field is non-interactive, and I have inserted a EPS file.  I saved as PDF, and again, it prints to my printer using Adobe Reader.

Again, I moved the PDF file to the Windows 7 machine, launched Adobe Reader with the PDF file, and printed it successfully.

Are you able to print?

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Filemaker created PDF not compatible with Adobe reader
                            JayRosen

Phil:

I am using container fields to store photos.  I am using filemaker go on an ipad to take photos and they are stored as container fields in the database.  I will try a report without any of the container fields and see what happens.  I will let you know.

Thanks,

Jay

• 11. Re: Filemaker created PDF not compatible with Adobe reader
                              philmodjunk

@Jay Rosen,

You may want to try generating PDF's from a brand new simple test file to rule out possible issues with your file.