1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 9:09 AM by TSGal

FileMaker databases are not usable if the program launches "in the background"

maser

Summary

FileMaker databases are not usable if the program launches "in the background"

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4

Operating system version

Description of the issue

If FileMaker Pro.app  launches "in the background", frequently the database that is opened at launch is not fully functional.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have a database has some checkbox fields on the layout that comes up when the database opens.

Frequently -- on a slower Mac -- I will double-click on a database with the application closed.

Because -- on the slower iMac -- FM takes a while to launch, I will move to another application (like Word/Excel or Safari) and continue to work on that other application while the database opens.  (NOTE -- the switching of FM to the "background" occurs after I see the application splash screen.)

When I notice the database layout open (in a background window), I then switch to FileMaker and attempt to use my database.

Expected result

FileMaker is fully functional -- I can click on my checkboxes and they fill

Actual result

When the database opens the application "in the background" -- the checkboxes do not do anything.

(I also see the "Open Remote" dialog box be non-responsive sometimes as well.)

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message.

Workaround

The only "workaround" is quit Filemaker and reopen the database -- but  leave FileMaker Pro to fully open "in the front".   Every time I do that -- the the database is fully functional when it's done opening.

I'm wondering if anybody else has seen this and if there's some other workaround I'm missing here...