Filemaker displaying wrong record from portal

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

12 Advanced

Operating system version

Windows Server 2008 R2

Description of the issue

Filemaker will display the wrong record when accessed from a portal when a double-click is used.

This happens especially when using Instant Web Publishing to a remote server where there is moderate network delay. This can happen using Filemaker Pro to access the data if the network delay is long enough.

If there is any kind of delay, such as that caused by a normal internet connection to a host from a client, Filemaker will display the wrong data.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Host the database using instant web publishing. In a portal, use a button that either uses a go to related record or uses the record ID to search the related table for the record.

Expected result

Obviously, it should display the correct related record…

If this were just data being used internally by a membership organization, this would just be an annoyance. But this data is very sensitive, and displaying the wrong information it a serious issue.

Actual result

It will show the number of found records in the status area, but land on record 0 instead of the record number it should be on, e.g. 1.

Record 0 will display a somewhat random record. The incorrectly displayed record is offset from the target record in that if you start from a different record in the portal, the displayed record will be different.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message typically.

Configuration information

Database hosted using instant web publishing. Clients access via internet (not local). There needs to be quite a bit of data and quite a few fields for it to show up. But this is normal.

I have a test database that I can supply that will show this problem.

Workaround

Nothing that really works.

double-click.png

• 1. Re: Filemaker displaying wrong record from portal
          philmodjunk

Out of curiosity, what happens if you follow the Go To Related Records step with a Go to Record/Request/Page [next] step?

Does that make for a possible work around?

• 2. Re: Filemaker displaying wrong record from portal
            jimhoyt

Thanks PhilModjunk for the suggesstion. I tried that (again) and it didn't solve the problem. I have tried all sorts of workarounds, but it appears the double-click interrupts the process sufficienty that the script is ignored at some point. Somewhere in the process, Filemaker IWP decides to display a certain record, and it simply does that, regardless of how you try to circumvent it.

Have you worked with IWP to the point that you've been able to resolve this with your own solutions? I'd sure like to find a workaround that is rock solid. I don't think I've committed any basic errors, been working with Filemaker since it was owned by Nashoba...

Filemaker engineering doesn't appear to be interested in this, but for me it is extremely important, due to the sensitivity of the data. I would hope they would see it the same way, as it shows some fundamental issues with their programming. There is another issue that is tied to this. Even if you do end up on the right record, using the Back button on the browser will also take you to an unrelated record. I got around this partially by forcing the server to log them in a url that kills the status area of the browser itself. But now I'm finding that with some mice, like the Apple Magic Mouse, you can swipe left and it does the Back function. So that overrides my workaround.

Frustrating to say the least.

Filemaker, where are you?