robyne

Summary

Filemaker email to outlook

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

Suddenly, we are having a problem with sending emails to our clients who use Outlook.  We send the email via Apple Mail with a pdf attachment.  When they get it, the attachment is there but cannot be seen.  If I send it manually... create a pdf, save to my desktop,  manually attach it.. its not a problem.  This is a major issue.  Is this a bug?  What can be done to fix it?  Obviously, this is partially an outlook issue but its not ok if many of my clients cannot get scripted emails!

• 1. Re: Filemaker email to outlook
          TSGal

robyne:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem.

I have a script that saves a PDF file to the Desktop and then sends an email with that PDF file as an attachment.  Whether I send it manually or via a script, the result is the same.  I can open the email in Outlook (Windows, I presume), and the PDF file is identical.

What occurs when the recipients try to open the PDF file?  Do they get an error?  How large is the PDF file?  Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker email to outlook
            robyne

Sorry for the delayed response...

PDF file is small.  I do have a screen shot that a client sent me.  The attachment is there (icon shows) but does not pop up in their email and they cannot access it to download.  There is no error.  Please note this happens with every Outlook user.  The only way I can fix it is to manually open up Mail, create an email and attach the PDF and send.  If I do this, they get the email. Clearly, it's something in the script mechanism.  Can I send you a copy of the script and screen shot?  How do I do this? 

• 3. Re: Filemaker email to outlook
              TSGal

robyne:

Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker email to outlook
                TSGal

robyne:

I received your email.  Thank you.

Looking at the last screen shot of Outlook, the displayed message is different from what the script sends, so please enclose the correct script, or if this is the correct script, then I'll need to look at the database file to determine why the message is not transferring properly.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Filemaker email to outlook
                  TSGal

robyne:

I received your email.  Thank you.

The first thing I noticed is that an Email is sent if you click "Cancel".  You may want to stop that up front by:

If [ Get ( LastMessageChoice ) = 2 ]
                     Halt Script
                  End If

Then, you don't need to evaluate for Get ( LastMessageChoice ) = 1, since that is the only remaining option.

Since you are saving to a PDF file, there is no need to use filewin or filemac.  Therefore, you can reduce your script steps (with the additional options) as follows:

Set Variable [ $document_path ; Get (DocumentsPath) & Substitute ( SR*real_ID::report name ; ".pdf" ; "" ) & ".pdf"
                  Save Records As PDF [ File Name: $document_path ; .... ]
                  Send Mail [ ....  ; "$document_path ]

Let me know if you continue to run into difficulty.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.