FileMaker enters a modal-like state on editing

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

v12 Advanced

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6

Description of the issue

I'm trying to set up a trigger-based system to edit a "matrix" report, i.e. like a cross-tab report, but editable. The gist of is is that as I load a record (OnRecordLoad) I fetch the column data for this record and populate a repeating field that represents the columns. Now I can enter the field and edit the values. After each edit (OnObjectExit) I grab the value and update the corresponding record in the related table (add, edit, or delete).

It all works flawlessly on v11, but on v12 I run into a problem: sometimes as I enter a cell FileMaker enters a modal-like state: it beeps on every keypress or mouse click, Close Window is disabled, Quit is disabled. All other commands are enabled though, so I can get out of it by switching to another mode (e.g. to Find mode and back). Although this helps, for some reason I have to select the command or press the hotkey *twice*, not once. I can also get out if I edit and save a script.

Another quirk is that if I evaluate the Get( ScriptName ) in the Data Viewer I see the name of my OnRecordLoad script. But if I open the debugger, there's no script. I've tried to write a script with the Halt Script command and run it via the Scripts menu, but it didn't help.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have a sample file in my DropBox (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9175169/MatrixTest.fmp12.zip). I wanted to attach it, but then realized I can only attach pictures.

As you open it, you'll be on the right layout. Try to click the matrix cells (the ones with numbers) and type new values, clear the existing ones, etc. Tab between fields or click haphazardly, or click somewhere else on the layout to commit. For me it usually takes about 20 clicks to get the error; once I managed to get it first time, it starts to happen much often.

Expected result

Edit goes smoothly; as I enter the field the data are always fully selected as it's specified in field options.

Actual result

As I enter the field the data may or may not be fully selected; after about 20 random edits/commits the application enters a modal-like state and starts beeping on keypresses or mouse clicks. The Quit and Close Window steps are disabled. If you evaluate "Get( ScriptName )" in Data Viewer you'll get a non-empty script name ("@Item: load usage"), but if you open Script Debugger, there won't be any script. You can get out of this state by switching to Find mode or Layout mode; note that you'll have to select the command twice to work or by editing and saving a script; if you do this, you'll get a message that this will stop the current script. Commit record, refresh window, revert record, running a script with Halt Script doesn't work.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

There's no error messages.

Configuration information

Nothing specific; vanilla FM Advanced v12, Mac OS X 10.6, no plug-ins.

Workaround

Switching to find mode helps to get out of it, but it's not something I would tell the customer to do.

• 1. Re: FileMaker enters a modal-like state on editing
          philmodjunk

Hmmm, have you tried adding a "commit record" step here and there in your trigger controlled scripts?

• 2. Re: FileMaker enters a modal-like state on editing
            MikhailEdoshin

Tried this right now; the interaction became slower, but the problem still persists.

• 3. Re: FileMaker enters a modal-like state on editing
              TSGal

Mikhail Edoshin:

Thank you for your posts.

I have downloaded your file and I am unsuccessful in trying to reproduce the problem under Mac OS X 10.7.4.  I have changed the number in the different fields several times (at least 100 times) without incident.  I don't doubt your issue, but I need more help in trying to replicate it.  Are there specific fields you want me to change?  More fields in Area 1?  More fields that are currently empty?  Constant changes to Room Type 1 or 2?  What changes did you (or normally) make that you first encountered the issue?  If you can't pinpoint it, I'll continue testing but on a machine running Mac OS X 10.6.8.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker enters a modal-like state on editing
                MikhailEdoshin

TSGal:

Thanks for checking this. The problem may be related to the OS version; i'm getting it in 10.6.8, v12 Advanced. Some other testers I asked to help could not reproduce it either, but two of them confirmed the problem. I haven't collected platform information though. 

I usually get it quickly if I click a one of fields with a number, maybe type something, then click the empty area below the records, and then click a numeric field in another record. it doesn't happen every time, but fairly often. 

I tried to solve it in a number of ways and some of them seem to help, although they're fairly strange (e.g. the best combo so far was to add a Refresh Window to the OnRecordLoad trigger and change the layout part type from footer to trailing grand summary -- weird :). Let's see if you can reproduce it on 10.6.8 and if yes, i'll send you more info.

Kind regards,

Mikhail

• 5. Re: FileMaker enters a modal-like state on editing
                  TSGal

Mikhail Edoshin:

Thanks for the additional information, as that provided the key.  Clicking below the records and then back into a field on another record.  It appears to happen for me consistently.  This was reproducible under both Mac OS X 10.7.4 and Windows XP (SP3).

I have sent your file and details along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  I'll keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker enters a modal-like state on editing
                    TSGal

Mikhail Edoshin:

I apologize for the late reply.

Our Testers were able to verify the issue.  The notes are a bit cryptic, but OnRecordLoad and OnObjectExit are mentioned as contributors.  This has been sent to Development for additional review.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker enters a modal-like state on editing
                      MikhailEdoshin

TSGal:

Thanks for your help; so maybe this issue will be solved in the next update? 

(I kind of managed to work around this with an SQL plug-in: I use the plug-in to find/add/delete records without leaving the layout, so at least it doesn't freeze anymore. But the experience is not as smooth as it is in v11.)

By the way, should I mark the post as answered or wait till it's really solved?

Kind regards,

Mikhail