Summary

FileMaker freezes after launching Outlook 2013 to send email

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 2008 R2

Description of the issue

We discovered that using Outlook 2013 on Windows 2008 R2, FileMaker (both versions 12 and 13) will hang when the built-in Send Email function is run (see attached image).

The script successfully calls up the default email client (Outlook 2013) and populates the Subject field. If you enter a To: address, some text in the body, and click the "X" to save a draft in Outlook, FileMaker freezes up and won't respond, resulting in having to kill the FM.exe process in Task Manager. The email draft is successfully saved in Outlook, however, but FM doesn't seem to get a response back from Outlook and hangs in limbo.

All this works fine in Outlook 2010 but just not in 2013.

Is there a solution to this, or a different method we should try for launching an email using Outlook from FM?

Thank you in advance!

Expected result

Outlook 2013 should save the draft of the email when the "X" is used to close the message and full control should be returned to FileMaker.

Actual result

After the message is saved as a Draft and Outlook closes, FM completely freezes up and can't be closed without using Task Manager.

Sendmail_function.PNG

• 1. Re: FileMaker freezes after launching Outlook 2013 to send email
          TSGal

Andrea Lain:

Thank you for your post.

Instead of using the script, pull down the File menu and select "Send -> Mail...".  Enter the information and click "OK".  Does this work?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker freezes after launching Outlook 2013 to send email
            AndreaLain

Using the steps you provided, my test email is sent via Outlook 2013 and I see it appear in my Sent Items afterward. More importantly, FileMaker doesn't freeze up, either.

However -- and I think this may be a clue -- I'm getting a security warning dialog pop-up using these steps and I have to click Allow in order to get the message sent. Please see attached...

Do you think this security warning is what could be hanging FM behind the scenes?

• 3. Re: FileMaker freezes after launching Outlook 2013 to send email
              AndreaLain

I was able to eliminate that security prompt by adding these registry values so now the email sent via the File > Send ... Mail method works fine.

However, even with these registry values in place to stop the security warning, the other Send Mail script we had setup initially continues to freeze FileMaker.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Security

Dword: PromptOOMSend
                   Value: 2
                   Dword: PromptOOMAddressBookAccess
                   value: 2
                   Dword : PromptOOMAddressInformationAccess
                   Value:2
                   Dword: PromptOOMMeetingTaskRequestResponse
                   Dword: PromptOOMSaveAs
                   Dword: PromptOOMFormulaAccess
                   Dword: PromptSimpleMAPISend
                   Dword: PromptSimpleMAPINameResolve
                   Dword: PromptSimpleMAPIOpenMessage
                   Value : 2

• 4. Re: FileMaker freezes after launching Outlook 2013 to send email
                TSGal

Andrea Lain:

Thanks for the update.

The Send Mail script step should work exactly the same as pulling down the File menu and selecting Sent -> Mail.

In case the script is damaged, create a new script which only has a Send Mail script step, and have it send a test email to your email address.  If this works, then expand on it to see what may be failing with other information entered..  If the script fails, then the file may be damaged.  Try creating a new database file and include a Send Mail script step.

Continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FileMaker freezes after launching Outlook 2013 to send email
                  AndreaLain

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for the quick response to my post. We're thinking the key difference between the File > Send > Mail method and the script I posted a screen shot of earlier, is that with our script, Outlook actually launches an email that the user can edit by adding body text, additional recipients, etc. With the method of sending mail via the File menu, it never pulls up an Outlook email for me to edit, but just fires it off behind the scenes. The screen shot below will show how I'm testing this. While that method does work and FM won't freeze in that process, it's not exactly what we're looking to accomplish in production.

Any idea as to why bringing up an actual email message to edit in Outlook using FM 12 or 13 would cause FM to freeze?

• 6. Re: FileMaker freezes after launching Outlook 2013 to send email
                    philmodjunk

an email that the user can edit by adding body text, additional recipients, etc.

As a possible work around, all of this can be done from FileMaker, you don't actually need to use Outlook for this unless you need access to Outlook's address book to add additional recipients.

• 7. Re: FileMaker freezes after launching Outlook 2013 to send email
                      TSGal

Andrea Lain:

Thank you for the additional information.

One of our Support Technicians has Outlook 2013, and we're unable to replicate the issue.  Ruling out that possibility, have you tried this with a new script?  New file?  

As per PhilModJunk, create a layout that looks like an Outlook Mail.  That is, you can have a field for the Message portion of the mail, and then reference the field when finally sending the message.  This would bypass the pause.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.