Summary

FileMaker gives error when selecting Email Client

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS x 10.6.8

Description of the issue

When the 'Client' option is chosen for sending an email from inside a FileMaker database, FM spits out an error:

'Some of the files that are needed are either damaged or have not been installed.  Please run the installer to correct this problem.'

This can be from a script step, or from File -> Send -> Mail window.

The email works fine if you use the internal SMTP mode for sending. 

This doesn't affect all users, either.  I get the error, but not my co-worker.  I am using Mac OS X 10.6.8.  Thunderbird is my client.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Try to execute the Client email application in a script step.

Expected result

Email client would open

Actual result

Error message (text noted above)

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

'Some of the files that are needed are either damaged or have not been installed.  Please run the installer to correct this problem.'

Configuration information

FMPA 12.03
      OS X 10.6.8

Workaround

Use an internal form, table, and script step.

• 1. Re: FileMaker gives error when selecting Email Client
          philmodjunk

Is Thunderbird your Coworker's client?

• 2. Re: FileMaker gives error when selecting Email Client

Update:

This appears to be related to the email client.  I have Thunderbird 16.0.2 as my default email client.  When I change the Default Client to Mac Mail (4.6) the client and new email open fine, and FM doesn't give me an error.  A similar thing happens if I set it to Outlook. 

But I have used Tbird in the past without problems.  I would guess that this is related to a recent Mac OS X update, but obviously don't know.  I haven't done any testing with older versions of Tbird (16.0.2 is, according to Tbird's system, the most up to date Release version).

• 3. Re: FileMaker gives error when selecting Email Client

LOL, cross posting.

No, Tbird is not my coworker's client.  She was using Entourage.  I am enquiring with another coworker (who had the error) what his client is.

• 4. Re: FileMaker gives error when selecting Email Client
                philmodjunk

The reasion I asked is that this error message typically means that either an incompatible email client is the default email client or that it is not configured correctly for interfacing with FileMaker. Not being a mac user, I can't provide any more info except to note the info in Help (under the send Mail entry):

Mac OS:

•

Mac OS X Mail or Microsoft Entourage installed to send email with FileMaker Pro.

•

Internet system preferences configured for use with one of the supported mail applications.

Note that Thunderbird is not listed as a possible client.

But I must also note that this entry is the same in FileMaker 11 and other users have reported using Thunderbird--if I remember correctly. It may be that Thunderbird worked in other versions of the OS and/or FileMaker but not with your current configuration and the absence of Thunderbird in the above entry suggests that this is an option not actively supported by the FileMaker engineers.
                • 5. Re: FileMaker gives error when selecting Email Client

Thanks for pointing that out.  I hadn't ever noticed that Tbird wasn't in the list.  (Can't say that I had ever read the requirements.  :))

That is unfortunate, though.  Yeah, I know that I have used Tbird in the past.  I believe that I have even used it with FM 12, but can't say with certainty.  I DO know that I used it in 11, at least.

Guess I won't be getting any love from FM/Apple then.  Darn it.

• 6. Re: FileMaker gives error when selecting Email Client

There's a report from dansmith65 on FM Forums that it works in Windows. 

Durn it all.  I wonder what the disconnect for the Mac is.

• 7. Re: FileMaker gives error when selecting Email Client
                      daveslc

Really Apple/Filemaker? You bungled this so it will only work with Apple Mail?

Not Thunderbird or other email clients????

TS Gal, what's up with that?