Summary

filemaker go crash during script step  Show Custom Dialog

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

mac osx 10.6.7  iphone 4  4.2.8 (8E401)

Description of the issue

After tapping on a field within a show custom dialog script step the keyboard pops up.  If the user taps one on the buttons before tapping done on the keyboard screen the software crashes.

Steps to reproduce the problem

tap on field within a show custom dialog script step

Keyboard pops up

tap any button in script step without tapping done on keyboard

program crashes

Expected result

continue to next step in script after tapping appropriate button in show custom dialog step.

Actual result

filemaker go exits as if hitting the home button

Workaround

I don't have a workaround for this yet.  I believe if there is a way to either make the keyboard screen larger or move the buttons so they are covered by the keyboard and the user is forced to tap done before tapping one of the show custom dialog buttons this would solve the issue.

• 1. Re: filemaker go crash during script step  Show Custom Dialog
          TimothyNees

in addition to my previous post this occurs when holding the iphone in portrait orientation.  Holding the iphone in landscape orientation covers the buttons until the keyboard disappears. On the IPad this error is possible in both orientations.

• 2. Re: filemaker go crash during script step  Show Custom Dialog

Timothy Nees:

Thank you for posting.

This issue is currently being investigated by our Development department. As a workaround, some users have reported that adding a pause of > .6 seconds before the Show Custom Dialog script step will help avoid the crash.

TSBear
            FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: filemaker go crash during script step  Show Custom Dialog
              TimothyNees

Adding a pause does work but it is not 100% reliable.  Show custom dialog is used to force rigid entry of data in a scripted format and with over 75 steps to the form a crash is very likely and unfortunately the user has to start from the beginning when this happens.

Another step i have had to take is to add conditional formatting to the form to let the user know where they left off in the script by changing the color of the text for each question answered.  i am woking on further scripting to allow them to start from where they left off in the event of a crash.

Scripts are also cut short when the phone rings so leaving the user a way to pickup where they left off is a good idea.

Its hours of extra work, I hope a patch is coming.