4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2014 10:57 AM by GarrettDebski

FileMaker Go database fails consistency check and is damaged

GarrettDebski

Summary

FileMaker Go database fails consistency check and is damaged

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

13.0.2.83801 (also happened on previous versions of Go 13 as well Go 12)

Operating system version

iOS 7.0.4

Description of the issue

Users are on iPads using a local FIleMaker Go database. 

The database also syncs data to and from FileMaker Server.

Out of 20-30 users, there are two individuals who experience this issue.

The database will randomly fail consistency check on open and report to the user that the database is damaged.  This has been happening to one individual about once a week.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I was able to have one of the sales reps send me the corrupted file.  I ran a recover and basically all the field indexes were toasted.

I have been unable to replicate the problem for myself.

Expected result

The database should just keep going and not have random melt downs.

Configuration information

Using GoZync to sync with server.  GoZync just uses regular FileMaker record creation and set fields so do not see any reason why this would be an issue.

I checked and user does not close database from multitask menu.

Sales Rep also denies having interruptions to the sync process from time outs etc.

User has been syncing over wifi only since the issue started - so cell service is not the issue.

Workaround

User has to take an hour to reload the whole system.  An hour that sales reps do not have time to do.

iPad_app.jpg

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go database fails consistency check and is damaged
          TSGal

Garrett Debski:

Thank you for your post.

Of the two individuals that are encountering this issue, find out how often they are rebooting FileMaker Go.  How often are they rebooting the iPad to clear out any possible memory conflicts?  What other applications do they also have running?  Also, find out what actions they are performing with FileMaker Go.  Any one of these could be a contributing factor to the corruption.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go database fails consistency check and is damaged
            GarrettDebski

Here is the response to your questions from the sales rep that has been having the most problems.

•                I never fully close out filemaker go, nor do I close the file. Will typically just pivot to another app.
            •           
            •                Rarely restart the iPad
            •           
            •                Commonly used apps > Mail, safari, Dropbox, ibooks, groupme, PDF expert, photos, things, messages, 1password, notes, kindle, newstand, maps, contacts, videos, reminders
            •      

As far as what they do - it is a database for medical sales reps.  So he occasionally adds a new facility or doctor.  Makes notes.  Reviews his sales data which is synced from the server.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go database fails consistency check and is damaged
              TSGal

Garrett Debski:

Have the user exit out of all the applications and reboot the iPad.  Once rebooted, download another copy of the database file to the iPad, and then launch FileMaker Go.  The user should then be able to use the database file.  If you are the developer, you may want to include a button on the layout at the end of the day that exits the application.  Although you can't force the user to reboot the iPad, you can at least control them exiting the application.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go database fails consistency check and is damaged
                GarrettDebski

TSGal:

I just asked the user to start closing the database when he is done for the day.  Not something I would have thought to ask.  Thanks.  I will be back if the issue continues.