Summary

Filemaker Go glitchy under iOS 7.03

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

latest

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I have had several glitches and bugs since upgrading to iOS 7. In particular, a photo database I created will capture a picture, appear to save the picture properly, but when you go back to the record later, there is nothing there. I totally deleted the database and reinstalled both FM Go and my databases from scratch. The issue seems to persist periodically, but quitting FM Go and relaunching seems to fix it temporarily.

This morning when trying to enter car mileage in a mileage database, a dialog popped up saying "you can't enter anything in this field while it is open for editing in another window". Hmmm. Last time I looked you can only run one window at a time in iOS 7 and this is not a database which links to a database on a server.

Is there an update in the works? This is getting to be a serious issue for me and the lack of reliability when dealing with pictures for a medical record is unacceptable.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Take a picture using a picture field. Save it. Go to previous record, then forward to the one you just created and sometimes, nothing is there.

Expected result

the picture you took should be there.

Actual result

No picture was saved.

Workaround

Quitting and restarting the app sometimes fixes the glitch temporarily.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Go glitchy under iOS 7.03
          philmodjunk

Hmmm. Last time I looked you can only run one window at a time in iOS 7 and this is not a database which links to a database on a server.

My GO DB's routinely have more than one window open. Just because you can only SEE one window open doesn't mean that others aren't open and that you might have a record open for editing in one of them. And this would produce the lock error message that you have reported here.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Go glitchy under iOS 7.03
            VincentAngeloni

My databases are programmed to only have one window open at a time. The database that reported this error has been in use since FM Go came out, and never showed me this error.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Go glitchy under iOS 7.03
              TSGal

Vincent Angeloni:

Thank you for your posts.

I have not encountered this issue, and I know that doesn't help you.  Therefore, I'll need some additional information from you.

What other applications are running on your iOS device?  What kind of iOS device do you have?  How long are you using FileMaker Go before this issue occurs?  How long has your iOS device been running since the last reboot when this occurs?  Are any other database files open when the issue occurs?

Please provide any other information to help me replicate the issue.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Go glitchy under iOS 7.03
                VincentAngeloni

iOS device: iPhone 5s 32gb

** How long are you using FMGo before this issue occurs?

I use the database intermittently throughout the day. The first time it happened I didn't notice the problem until I uploaded the database to my MBPro at the end of the day and there were no pictures. You can capture the picture in FMGo and click the "Use Picture" button and it appears to be saved in the content field, but if you go to another record and then come back to the one with the picture, the picture is gone. I tried Quitting FMGo on the phone and that did not cure the issue. I reinstalled FMGo from the app store and reinstalled the databases from my MBPro. Then on Wednesday I took several pictures throughout the day and at upload time, none of them were there.

** How long since last reboot?

I rebooted twice since the problem started.

** Are any other database files open when the problem occurs?

My usual practice is to use one at a time and I quit open databases before returning to this one. The other databases I access would be ones that are used only occasionally and I didn't use them at all when I noticed this problem occurring.

** What other applications are running?

The usual background stuff that accumulates: Safari, Mail, Calendar, Contacts, ePocrates, Dropbox and whatever else I have used in the past.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Go glitchy under iOS 7.03
                  TSGal

Vincent Angeloni:

Thank you for the additional information.

From your description, it seems either the database file is damaged, FileMaker Go is damaged (unlikely), or iOS is damaged.  Therefore, to check the database file, create a new database file in FileMaker Pro that contains just a Container field.  Move the file to the iPhone, add some records and take some pictures.  Do the images get saved in every record?  If so, then your original file is damaged.  If pictures are still not being saved, then it may have to do with some interaction with iOS.  Try backing up and restoring your iPad, and iOS 7 will be reinstalled.

Continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Go glitchy under iOS 7.03
                    Markus Schneider

Same problem here...

- identical file works perfect under MacOS

- file opened on the desktop Mac, then opened remote from the iPhone -> no-go, exactly this error message

Solution: Delete FMGo form the iOS, re-install it -> works..

I got the gut feeling that it has something to do with several attemps to upload that file to th iPhone, what did not work because the iPhone was in sleep mode (display off). Copying files only work when the iPhone is active…

• 7. Re: Filemaker Go glitchy under iOS 7.03
                      VincentAngeloni

I installed a older version of the database onto my iPhone and it worked OK for a while and just Friday it did the same thing again with multiple pictures taken which all disappeared after getting a couple of dialog boxes saying something about another window open — I dismissed about 3 or these in rapid succession and then all my pictures are gone.

I am also getting suspicious about the uploading as a possible cause. This is a database which is uploaded from the phone to the Mac every day and the pictures are then downloaded to a server for incorporation into medical records. Then I import my patient schedule for the next day and send it back to the iPhone. With iOS 7, there are new problems with sending the program back and forth to the phone, namely that if the phone is asleep or you forget to turn it on or wake it up, the transfer to the phone fails. I am using PhoneView to do the transfer. What will happen is that I drag the database into the box for the Filemaker databases and if the phone is asleep, the transfer fails and a dialog appears stating that the transfer failed. I can see in PhoneView, however, that the previously existing file on the phone seems to have disappeared from the file list in Phoneview — so in other words, it seems that the transfer failed, but it did manage to erase the file. (I never looked on the phone to check if it was still there, though.) So maybe that is where the corruption occurs.

For the next week, I am reverting back to an old version of the program which is not corrupted and I will try using iTunes for the transfers of the database and see if this is the cure. I do recall that iTunes also will not upload programs to the Phone if it is asleep or off with iOS 7 also.  Due to the holidays, I probably won't get much testing done this week, however. 

• 8. Re: Filemaker Go glitchy under iOS 7.03
                        TSGal

Vincent Angeloni:

Before copying the file, make sure the file is closed in FileMaker Go.  Otherwise, the open links in the original file are not going to match up to the links in the newly copied file.  I would recommend exiting FileMaker Go prior to any copying of FileMaker files, whether it is through PhoneView or iTunes.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Filemaker Go glitchy under iOS 7.03
                          VincentAngeloni

Before copying the file, make sure the file is closed in FileMaker Go.  Otherwise, the open links in the original file are not going to match up to the links in the newly copied file.

Not only that, but the if you copy from the phone with the database open, the currently open record doesn't seem to be saved or copied over to the Mac. This was learned a long time ago, before the current problem reared its head. Thanks… I will let you know if I figure anything out over the next couple of weeks. Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Vince