1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 27, 2011 2:30 PM by TSGal

FIlemaker Go iTunes sync results in old Go document put on iPad. All changes on iPad lost.

fredochs

Summary

FIlemaker Go iTunes sync results in old Go document put on iPad. All changes on iPad lost.

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

Mac: 10.6.8 iPad: 4.3.5

Description of the issue

I have a data base that I transferred to my iPad via iTunes sync. I then made a bunch of changes on the iPad copy of the data base. When I sync'ed again with iTunes, all of my changes on the iPad were gone. I closed the data base before syncing, which I am not certain is necessary, but on the iPad the data base was closed when I sync'ed just in case. The copy of the db in iTunes was simply transferred to the iPad again instead of the copy on the iPad being moved to iTunes. I am so upset!!! Hours of work gone. And I have no idea what went wrong and so how to prevent this happening again. GO is now totally useless to me when something unpredictable like this can happen after hours of work. AACCKKK!!

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have no idea. This is the first time it has happened. I just made a single change to the iPad copy of the data base, did a sync, and this time the iPad copy got moved to iTunes.

Expected result

I expect the data base as updated on the iPad to end up on iTunes so that I can then drag it onto my mac desktop.

Actual result

All the changes on the iPad are gone after the sync as if the old copy in iTunes simply overwrote the iPad copy. The date/time in iTunes are as if the old copy is there, which it certainly is.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

• 1. Re: FIlemaker Go iTunes sync results in old Go document put on iPad. All changes on iPad lost.
          TSGal

Fred Ochs:

Thank you for your post and I apologize for the late reply.

You should quit FileMaker Go when connecting to iTunes.  Then, you can move the file from iTunes directly to the Desktop on your Mac.  You should then be able to open the file with FileMaker Pro and see your changes.  If you make any new changes in FileMaker Pro, then copy it back into iTunes and sync it back to the iPad (or other iOS device).

When you tap sync, the database file will move from the Mac to the iOS device (iPad).  To copy the iPad to the Mac, just drag it out of the FileMaker Go directory in iTunes to the computer (Desktop or any folder).

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.