Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Go_iPad 1.1.1 (Build Sep 7, 2010)

Operating system version

iPad ( iOS 3.2.2 ) remote solution hosted by PC Filemaker Pro 9.0v3

Description of the issue

::FM Go stuck in perpetual resort records mode

Created a simple database that allows users to set a numeric to a field that can be referenced by a script to SORT the records.

In my solution, if a user presses the SORT button then begins to change field contents connected to that sort, FM Go may arbitrarily begin to redisplay the viewed records in the new sort pattern while the user is modifying multiple records without the user again pressing the sort button.
      This live sort, or perpetual resort, causes constant screen redraws and user confusion.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Create a DB containing a field [SCode] to hold a numeric value
      2. Create a script that sorts on that field [SCode]
      3. On a layout, create a button that runs the sort script
      4. On the same layout, show the [SCode] field
      5. View Records as a LIST
      OPEN THE DB ON AN iPAD USING FileMaker Go
      6. Press the SORT button (set to sort [SCode])
      7. Begin modifying records, entering with higher or lower numbers into the SCode field with the idea of varying the sort order of the records
      8. Press the sort button on the layout
      9. Continue modifying the records with higher or lower numbers with the idea of varying the sort order of the records.

... after four or more records are modified, the DB may resort the displayed records without the user having touched the scripted button, causing the display to reorder.

## I have a simple solution (80K)I can send that will show this issue.

Expected result

The expected result is for the display to stay STATIC, unchanged while the user modifies records until the user presses the scripted sort button causing the display to update to the new sort order.

Actual result

Display is constantly sorting the display, causing screen redraws that leave the user lost.

• 1. Re: FileMaker GO perpetual sort
          TSGal

Rich Cornett:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Pro 9, when you edit a record, you will get a Semi-Sorted message.  In FileMaker Pro 11, once a change has been made to a sorted value, the records automatically moves to its respective position in the sort.  Since FileMaker Go was built on the FileMaker Go code base, this is expected behavior.

One workaround suggested by one of the forum users is to use a script that includes a Pause/Resume Script step.  While the script is in the pause state, you can make changes to records without the automatic sort moving the records to the new position.  Once you are finished making changes, click either "Continue" (to continue with the script) or "Cancel" (to exit the script), and the records will move to their appropriate positions in the sort order.

There have been several comments from forum users about the automatic sort.  I encourage you to enter your comments into our Feature Requests web form located at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These web suggestions are read by our Development and Product Management departments where they are then discussed and considered for a future release.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.