3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2012 12:55 PM by pfabris

Filemaker Go randomly ignores "Log in using" credentials stored in File Options

pfabris

Summary

Filemaker Go randomly ignores "Log in using" credentials stored in File Options

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

OS 5.0.1

Description of the issue

Set Log in using ID & Password in a Filemaker DB and post the file to Filemaker Go on iPad.  When initially launching the file, the "Log in using..." settings are honoured.  However, if user switches to another app and returns later, not having closed the file, or having closed the file and re-opened it using a FMPSCript:// URI, user will occasionally be prompted to enter Authentication Credentials for the file, despite "Log In Using" settings.  Hitting "Cancel" on the Authentication dialog proceeds to open the file using the "Log In Using" settings.

Steps to reproduce the problem

See above.

Expected result

User should never be prompted for credentials when "Log In Using" settings are set.

Actual result

User is occasionally, though not always, prompted for credentials when "Log In Using" settings are set.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Go randomly ignores "Log in using" credentials stored in File Options
          user15307

marketconnections,

Thank you for posting.

It is difficult to pin down the cause of a randomly occurring issue.  I'm going to test for a period of time here to see if I can replicate this.  

So far, I haven't received an authentication challenge on the iPad for a file that has "Log in Using" configured.

I set up a test file with the File Options set:

Account = iPad

Password = iPad

In FileMaker Go (FileMaker Go_iPad 1.2.4), after opening the database, I pressed the home key to exit FileMaker Go and browsed Safari, checked mail, then returned to the file.  

Selected Yes at the subsequent prompt:

"Some files were still open when you last quit.  Do you want to continue where you left off in these files? "

Still not getting a challenge to come up for login to that same file.  I've been repeating this periodically.

I do have the Extended Privileges keyword of "fmrestorelogin" set for the account's privilege set. However, that isn't the only factor affecting this issue.  In the FileMaker Go Development Guide, there is the following:

Logging in after hibernation

When you tap the Home button on a device, you exit an app immediately, with no message to save changes. FileMaker Go hibernates, storing the state of the file. FileMaker Go also hibernates when you answer a phone call or when you choose Open in Safari.

After FileMaker Go hibernates, you must re-enter your account and password to return to the file, unless:

you are using the Guest account.

> your user name and password match the user name and password set in the File Options dialog in FileMaker Pro.

> you have extended privileges and the keyword fmrestorelogin (lowercase) has been defined for those privileges.

If none of the settings apply, you need to enter the login information to open the hibernated file.

Please let me know what I can do to better mirror the conditions under which you are seeing this behavior.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Go randomly ignores "Log in using" credentials stored in File Options
            pfabris

Actually, reading over the Logging in after Hibernation quote, I realize what might be the issue.  I have a generic ID/PW set in the File Options.  When a user first opens the file, this is the account they are logged in under.  However, once they go through a validation process, the DB automatically performs a re-login under different account.  This is typically the account they are logged in under when they hit the Home button.  It now makes sense that a user is seeing the Authentication dialog when they return to Filemaker Go, since the account no longer matches the File Options. 

I was unaware of the fmrestorelogin extended priv.  I will try that out, and hopefully it will resolve the issue.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Go randomly ignores "Log in using" credentials stored in File Options
              pfabris

Yes, this seems to have resolved my problems with authentication dialogs. Turns out they weren't random at all. Thank you for pointing out the fmrestorelogin keyword.  That seems to have resolved the issue.