Filemaker GO still broken in OS 7 on iPhone

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

FileMaker Go for iPhone updated 09/19/2013

Operating system version

IOS 7.0 updated 09/18/2013

Description of the issue

Fields that are data formatted (date, time) appear not fill the field or if they do, they do not display or print. Database is on iPhone IOS 7.0. Database is NOT shared or even open to another user, only used by myself.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Select a date data formatted field. The window opens to select the day, date, year by rolling the corresponding wheel to set the day or date or year. When set the entire setting appeared selected. When moving to another field, the selection does not appear in the field just modified. The modified field appears blank. When attempting to modify again I get a dialogue box stating that the field is being modified by another user and can not be modified. I have to boot the application to clear this dialogue.

Expected result

Date in Data formatted field should display after completed entry is higlighted as selected and I move to another field.

Actual result

no display, apparently no entry, prints with blank field

Workaround

Only able to manually enter date or time into preformatted field by deselecting the pre formatted button.

• 1. Re: Filemaker GO still broken in OS 7 on iPhone
          philmodjunk

I have not experienced any issues editing date fields in FM GO on my iPhone.

When attempting to modify again I get a dialogue box stating that the field is being modified by another user and can not be modified.

Is it possible that you have more than one window open?

Sounds like your data was never committed and that you are attempting to edit the same record in Window 2 that you still have open for editing in Window 1.

• 2. Re: Filemaker GO still broken in OS 7 on iPhone
            rlouchejr

to: PhilModJunk

I thought the same. Only the one window open. Data in the selection was highlighted (therefore committed) and yet did not appear in the field.

Actually, I am most upset about the date, time fields not able to be used without manually entering. Manual entry means jumping back and forth between screens and poking at the screen. Allows for entry errors and forced re-do.

I am hoping FileMaker sees this problem and bring an update soon.

• 3. Re: Filemaker GO still broken in OS 7 on iPhone
              philmodjunk

Data in the selection was highlighted (therefore committed)

What do you mean by "highlighted"? And there is no appearance change that I've seen in GO that indicates that the data is committed. (And I can highlight and select the contents of a field without the record being committed.)

And I repeat that I cannot reproduce this when I try editing a date field on my iOS7 system nor did I observe such behavior in iOS6. The field does not mysteriously clear when I move to the next field and I do not see this error message unless I am editing the same record in two different open windows at the same time.

If you create a brand new file, copy it to the iOS device and edit a date field in it, do you get the same results?

I can also easily dismiss the date picker to input data with the standard keyboard, though flicking the wheels for dates close the the current date seems much easier. And I don't have to do anything, but tap the correct button in the date picker to get that keyboard....

The only issues I have with the picker is the very minor annoyance of having to select 1 date then today's date before I can use the picker to enter today's date.

• 4. Re: Filemaker GO still broken in OS 7 on iPhone
                rlouchejr

Still problem continued. So I brought the data base solution back on to my Mac, and re-established the date and time formats for all the date and time locations, saved and imported the database solution back to the iPhone through iTunes. Date and time pickers now work but more fiddly than before the IOS 7 update. Sometimes I have to roll the date selection two or three times and wait an inordinate amount of time (maybe 10 to 15 seconds sometimes) until it shows that it has highlighted and placed the result in the field.

You said, "The only issues I have with the picker is the very minor annoyance of having to select 1 date then today's date before I can use the picker to enter today's date."

I agree with your annoyance.

By the way after the update to IOS 7 my (only one year old) iPhone 5 now presents the dialogue warning that an accessory that is attached to this phone is not supported and may not work. It gives me only one selection, to cancel the dialogue warning. There is no accessory attached to the phone. Phone is straight stock, directly as I bought it from AT&T, no modifications. This dialogue has never presented until directly after the IOS 7 update and now it continueally presents itself every couple of minutes or so, even after I continue to cancel the warning. So, I think, maybe something else is going on.

Without any accessory attached, maybe some other app is speaking to the system allowing it to think it has an accessory involved.

I plan to reload IOS 7 today.

Thanks for you comments and help. It is appreciated!

• 5. Re: Filemaker GO still broken in OS 7 on iPhone
                  philmodjunk

But let me stress that it is a very MINOR annoyance as it take less than a second to deal with.

What exactly do you mean by "highlighted" Highlighted in the picker or Highlighted in the field? It certainly doesn't highlight in the date field so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

So far, I haven't seen any noticeable delays when working with a date picker in iOS7, but it all still a very new release so I haven't spent a huge amount of time.

If you create a brand new file with just a single date field and test it. Do you get the same results?

• 6. Re: Filemaker GO still broken in OS 7 on iPhone
                    rlouchejr

Highlighted in the picker. If the picker doesn't show a highlight, the data will not fill the field.

Haven't had time to test a new file with a single date field yet.

• 7. Re: Filemaker GO still broken in OS 7 on iPhone
                      philmodjunk

Since I can't reproduce this and don't see any similar reports being posted by others, I suspect that there could be an issue with either your iPhone or your database file. Damaged files do weird things sometimes.

The problem you are reporting with your phone is very suggestive. Since the Data Picker is called up from the iOS, a problem with the phone (or how iOS7 is installed) might be part or all of the issue.

But if the issue is due to damage to your file, a new clean file shouldn't show the same behavior.

If you suspect that your file might be damaged use FileMaker Pro to Recover the file. Even if it reports not finding any problems, test the recovered copy to see if it has the same issue. (Recovered copies have rebuilt field indexes and other features are "reset" back to "factory spec" so even if no damage is found and corrected, the recovered file may function differently from the original copy.)

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
                      3.           Recover does not detect all problems
                      5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                      7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 8. Re: Filemaker GO still broken in OS 7 on iPhone
                        schamblee

I just created a sample and I got the same type error message and I couldn't delete any records from the databases (Phone hung in deleting 2 records), I rebooted my iPhone and everything is working fine with the databases.   This might be related to a memory issue that others have talked about before ios7 and 12.0.8. I don't know because I havn't been about to repeat since I reboot my phone.

iPhone 5, iOS 7, Go 12.0.8