FileMaker Go with Server

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Go:1 Server:11

Operating system version

Mac 10.5

Description of the issue

I've finally gotten FileMaker Server to backup and then run a script to move the latest backup to a folder that syncs with iTunes for FileMaker Go. This way I can have an updated local copy on the iPad if I don't have 3g or wifi access to the online version of the file. Still having a few problems though...

1) The file on the iPad doesn't get replaced by the new backup that is supposed to sync via iTunes. It seems to work if I delete the file on the iPad before syncing (and re-add it to iTunes) but is this the expected behavior? Is there anyway to make this more automatic?

2) Sometimes the file that gets synced wont open on the iPad (with the dreaded 808 error). Recovering the file will allow it to open, but do I really have to check this every time? The files open in Filemaker 11 with no problems. I know that FileMaker Go is more sensitive to corruption than FileMaker, but why does this happen intermittently?

3) I originally tried doing this using DropBox, but the file corruption problem still seems to come up periodically (not to mention that I can't open the file from DropBox unless I can get online).

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have FMP Server backing up to my Dropbox folder (every 4 hours and keeping 1 copy) then it runs this shell script which copies that backup to the folder where iTunes expects to find it:

#!/bin/bash

SRC_DIR=/Users/Rocky/Dropbox/
      DST_DIR=/Users/Rocky/Documents/iPadFiles
      SEARCH="*Music*"
      DEPTH=3

for i in `find $SRC_DIR -maxdepth $DEPTH -name "$SEARCH"`;
      do
      cp $i $DST_DIR/;
      done

Expected result

To have an up-to-date copy of the served FileMaker file on the iPad in case of no 3g or wifi accessibility.

Actual result

The file doesn't get replaced on the iPad and periodically wont open because of error 808.

Configuration information

Server is an iMac 24" running OSX 10.5 and FMPS 11.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go with Server
          TSGal

Michael Boyle:

Thank you for your post.

As the contents of a file are modified, those changes are written to a "change" file.  When you sync, the changes are written to the other device.  Since you are copying a file, no changes have been made so iTunes does not recognize a sync is necessary.  Therefore, add the file again to iTunes and replace.  Then, sync again.

FileMaker Go is more sensitive to file corruption.  Although the file may open properly in FileMaker Pro 11, FileMaker Pro 11 does not have the same error checking routines as FileMaker Go, so you may receive an 808 error.  See Knowledge Base Article #7736 for more information:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7736

The Recover command will try its best to put the file back together, but it is not a cure-all solution.  Revert to an earlier copy of the file and import the data.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go with Server
            MichaelBoyle

Thanks, but is there no solution other than re-pointing iTunes to the new file every time?

I wouldn't think I could point iTunes to the file being hosted on the FileMaker Server, but would that work instead?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go with Server
              TSGal

Michael Boyle:

I don't know if there is a solution other than re-pointing iTunes to the new file.

Does anyone else have a way to either update an existing file, or fool iTunes into thinking the file has been updated?  Perhaps you can open the file in FileMaker Pro and run a script that updates the data from the main file.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go with Server
                MichaelBoyle

I don't know what you mean by "update an existing file" or "fool iTunes into thinking the file has been updated"

Do you understand what my initial question was?

There is a file hosted on a Filemaker server which I'd like to take a local copy of (updated daily) onto the iPad.

I could write a script to update the data from the main file, but we're talking about 20 inter-related tables and it would take many hours to write and thoroughly test it. I can't believe that this possibility was never considered by the FileMaker Go developers...

Thanks for your help.

M

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go with Server
                  TSGal

Michael Boyle:

FileMaker Go can either access a hosted file via Wi-Fi or 3G, or it can download a file through iTunes to the device.  For the latter, you manually connect the file to iTunes and sync.  If the structure of the file isn't changing, then perhaps it would be easier to just set up a script to import the data into FileMaker Go.  The script would import from each of the "20 inter-related tables".  That way, you wouldn't have to reconnect daily to iTunes.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.