1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 1:52 PM by TSGal

FileMaker has a bug with modal dialogs in Java applets displayed in the web viewer.

jbarnum

Summary

FileMaker has a bug with modal dialogs in Java applets displayed in the web viewer.

Description of the issue

(note: this is similar to another bug we filed at http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=aut&message.id=2801, but this adds additional details and a new error condition where FileMaker gets stuck in the foreground) FileMaker has a bug with modal dialogs in Java applets displayed in the web viewer.=== Bug description ===Depending on what parent object is passed into the modal dialog, the following behavior manifests:* If 'null' or JOption.getRootFrame() is passed in as the parent, then a modal dialog is opened correctly. Switching to other applications and back to FileMaker while the dialog is open works correctly. However, after closing the dialog, the applet is unresponsive to any other events until selecting another application in the OS X dock and then selecting FileMaker from the OS X dock. The problem can also be fixed by opening a modal dialog in FileMaker, like 'About FileMaker' and then closing it.Expected behavior: Applet should respond to mouse clicks and other events after closing the modal dialog.This behavior is exhibited in buttons 1, 3, and 6 in the test applet (see below).* If any other object is passed in as the dialog parent, and then the dialog is closed without switching to another application, everything works as expected. However, if you open the modal dialog, switch to another application, then switch back to FileMaker and close the modal dialog, FileMaker gets 'stuck' in the foreground, and you cannot make other application windows appear in the foreground.Expected behavior: When switching to another application, those application windows should overlap the FileMaker window in the foreground.This behavior is exhibited in buttons 2, 4, 5 in the test applet (see below).=== Test applet ===I've created two files to accompany this bug report; one is 'Java Applet bug demo.fp7'. This illustrates the problem in FileMaker. The second is called WebKitEmbedding - this is a small Cocoa application that I wrote to test the applet in a non-FileMaker embedded environment. The WebKitEmbedding application works as expected. This shows that the problem is specific to FileMaker. Java Applet bug demo.fp7WebKitEmbedding If you would like source code to either the WebKitEmbedding application or the Java test applet, please let me know and I will be happy to send it to you.=== Configuration ===This behavior is observed with FileMaker 10.0v3 on Mac OS X 10.6 on a MacBook Pro. I have not tested on Windows. Here is the Java configuration:jesse:~ jesse$ java -versionjava version "1.6.0_15"Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_15-b03-219)Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.1-b02-90, mixed mode)