Summary

Filemaker has locked a layout saying that I am editing it yet I am not

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows

Description of the issue

Yesterday I was trying to add an object to a layout filemaker then froze trying to import and add the object. I had to force filemaker to close. Upon reopening filemaker and returning to the layout to try and edit it again I got the message "user is editing the layout. Can not modify the layout." The user which filemaker says is editing the layout is me. I have closed filemaker multiple times closed the file the layout is in and still receive this message even though I am not editing the layout.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open filemaker got the layout and click on the layout and the message appears. I believe it is because I force closed filemaker because it got stuck trying to import an object

Expected result

error message saying the layout is being edited

Actual result

ability to edit the layout

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

ITuser is editing this layout. You can not use it until ITuser is finished.

• 1. Re: Filemaker has locked a layout saying that I am editing it yet I am not
          philmodjunk

Sounds like your file was damaged when it crashed (froze).

Recover a copy and see if it has the same issue.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).