FileMaker is loosing its Quit command

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13 latest

Operating system version

Mavericks latest

Description of the issue

When developing, Filemaker got slow and clicks only resulted in beeps. Quit command suddenly was unavailable.

There are logs and more information on: https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/155577#155577

Steps to reproduce the problem

none so far :-(

Expected result

of course normal behaviour

Actual result

you can only force quit FM

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

none

Configuration information

standard iMac with Mavericks latest

Workaround

none

console.png

• 1. Re: FileMaker is loosing its Quit command
          TSGal

Martin Bohmer:

Thank you for your post and accompanying link.

The logs are very similar to a Custom Menu issue we have been tracking.  Do you notice what Custom Menu is being used when you start to see the slowdown and/or Quit option becoming unavailable?  If possible, send in a clone of your file for investigation.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker is loosing its Quit command
            intex

Hi TSGal,

you already have the file, it´s the same I sent you because of the doubleclick on button with text tool crash on Mavericks.

Link for thread and file was

Crashing when doubleclicking text on buttons for text entry 

Nothing changed to the custom menu in the meantime. If you need the current version of the file, please tell me so - no problem.

• 3. Re: FileMaker is loosing its Quit command
              intex

By the way - it´s the same and one and only custom menu set throughout the file. Since it´s intended for use with Webdirect I didn´t do much on this menu set.

• 4. Re: FileMaker is loosing its Quit command
                TSGal

Martin Bohmer:

Looking through my old notes, I did see that you sent me a file in 2012.

Looking at your history, I see that you did send a file to TSFalcon.  I'll contact him for a copy of the file.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FileMaker is loosing its Quit command
                  intex

Ah sorry, yes. I may have being messed up in my mind with TSGal and TSFalcon.

• 6. Re: FileMaker is loosing its Quit command
                    TSGal

Martin Bohmer:

I was able to get a copy of the file that was sent in 7 Aug 2014.  I have attached the file to the original Custom Menus report.  When I receive any additional feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker is loosing its Quit command
                      philmodjunk

For those of us following along at home, A custom menu must be defined? On the current layout? Is this Mac Only? Mavericks Only? Or ???

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 8. Re: FileMaker is loosing its Quit command
                        intex

As far as I can say there may be a relation between this behaviour and custom menus.

I have one custom menu defined which is used throughout the solution - very simple, since the solution is for Webdirect only.

Main differences to normal menu set are

New Record is not available, since the new commands are put on buttons with special scripts

Duplicate Record is not available, since all records should have unique iDs and therefor we have special duplicate commands if needed.

No Format-menu, since RTF Text isn´t supported in WebDirect.

There is a custom "About ..." menu too.

But this is nearly all.

I work on Mac with Mavericks, so it may be a Mac only issue.

• 9. Re: FileMaker is loosing its Quit command
                          TSGal

PhilModJunk:

This appears to be a Mac only issue.  The cause is unknown since many users are successfully using Custom Menus without any issues.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FileMaker is loosing its Quit command
                            intex

crashes of the last couple of days - this is awful :-(

Could provide all the detailed crash reports if needed.

• 11. Re: FileMaker is loosing its Quit command
                              TSGal

Martin Bohmer:

Please send the detailed crash reports, so we can verify all crashes are the same issue.  Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the files.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FileMaker is loosing its Quit command
                                TSGal

Martin Bohmer:

Just confirming I received your crash reports.  From a quick glance, they do not appear to be Custom Menu related.  For my clarification, the crash does not occur when you only have Standard Menus active?

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FileMaker is loosing its Quit command
                                  intex

all these crashs have happened in the last days working on the same file. It has custom menus for all layouts and the last crash in the row was just clicking on a simple "go to related record"-link from a list view.

So I don´t know if custom menus are the cause or not - didn´t work with other files the last month and this is my first FM13 only project.

Never had that many crashs in so little time with any software nor with any version of FileMaker before. Only Rapidweaver may have been near ...

• 14. Re: FileMaker is loosing its Quit command
                                    TSGal

Martin Bohmer:

The crash logs show a MouseDown event.  Is there a button that uses the Go To Related Record?  Or, is there a button that calls a script that executes the Go To Related Record script step?  If you create a new layout with the same information, does the crash still occur?

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next