4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 2:45 AM by aaronusa

Filemaker Network Hangs Only on Certain Computers

aaronusa

Summary

Filemaker Network Hangs Only on Certain Computers

Description of the issue

We've got Filemaker Pro 8.5v2 on five computers in our office (sorry, haven't upgraded to 11 yet), which we use to connect to a server hosted database using Filemaker Network sharing.  Three computers are running Mac OSX and four are running Windows XP.  All the Mac computers and three of the Windows XP computers can log onto the server hosted database just fine, but inexplicably two of the Windows XP computers cannot.  What happens is that they hang for 15 or 20 minutes and then a message appears "Connection with the host was interrupted and could not be re-established.  All affected Windows will be closed." I've tried and tried, but I can't identify what is special about these two Windows XP computers.  I made sure to open ports 5003 and 5353 on all the computers, even tried removing the firewall and any anti-virus software altogether.  All five Windows XP computer have the exact same operating system, similar software, share the exact same Internet connection, and I used speedtest.net to make sure that they are all connecting at exactly the same speed.  The only subtle difference I can find is that the two unlucky Windows XP computers, when I open up the "Preferences" panel, the option that reads "Show Recently Opened Files" is greyed out.  I tried downloading a trial version of Filemaker Pro 11 and installed on one of these computers and again the option is greyed out.  When I installed it on one of the good Windows XP computers the option was not greyed out. Could this be an indicator of something else wrong on these two computers?  Any help would be appreciated! Aaron