Summary

FileMaker ODBC driver memory leak

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Service Pack 1

Description of the issue

Using ODBC to import data from a hosted FileMaker database to an Excel spreadsheet causes a memory leak. Each time a connection i created from excel 49 handles are used. When the connection is terminated only 9 handles are released. Each time the data table imported to excel is refreshed another 40 handles are used and not released.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Create a new data source DSN using FileMaker ODBC driver on a client computer. The new data source should point to a hosted FileMaker databsse (i.e. sample database).
      2. Create a new Excel spreadsheet and use DSN to connect to the hosted FileMaker database and import data.
      3. Refresh the data table in Excel and check how the number of handles used increased. The number of handles used by Excel can be observed in Windows Task Manager.

Expected result

Each time the data table imported to excel is refreshed the same number of handles should be used and released. The number of used handles should not increase.

Actual result

Each time the data table imported to excel is refreshed another 40 handles are used and not released. After 10 times the number of used and not released handles increases by 400.

Configuration information

FileMaker ODBC driver version 11.3.81
      The issue did not exist in FileMaker 10.
      The issue can be reproduced in FileMaker 11 and 12.

• 1. Re: FileMaker ODBC driver memory leak
          EdQuigley

I came across a similar memory leak when using NI Labview. It was not releasing memory causing labview to grow each time it wrote to Filemaker. the NI team isolated the memory growth to the ODBC Driver. I was using FileMaker ODBC Driver 12.0.79 that came bundled with FMP_12.0.1.183. Will Filemaker address this?