AnsweredAssumed Answered

Filemaker on mac loses connection when i run windows under parallels on the same mac

Question asked by TomGoedhart on Jul 31, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 1, 2013 by willowcherry

Summary

Filemaker on mac loses connection when i run windows under parallels on the same mac

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OSX 10.8

Description of the issue

I am using filemaker in a network on 6 imacs. They all connect to our server (Mac Mini) with filemaker server on it. All iMacs and the server are wired. From the start they all lose their connection with the server after a while. This can be 5 minutes an hour. It is really anoying for the employees to reopen the database 10-20 times a day.

I googled the problem and tried different things. I reinstalled the server and updated all the computers to the latest software (Filemaker 12.0.4), but without any luck. I checked the user settings and even with all privileges they keep losing the connection. 

After 6 months working with it i finally figured out what is causing the problem. When i run windows xp under parralels 8 (With is required for certain software), they keep losing their connection. When i shut windows down (Parrallels still running) it is working! No more connections are dropped! So somewhere there's a conflict between windows and filemaker.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Run a filemaker database hosted on filemaker server, with parallels and windows running on the same client mac.

Expected result

Not losing the connection

Actual result

I lose the connection.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Connection lost to host.

Configuration information

Server: Mac Osx Server 10.8/Filemaker server 12.0.4
Client: Mac Osx 10.8/Filemaker Pro Advanced 12.0.4/Parallels 8/Windows XP

Workaround

Shut down windows under parallels.

Outcomes