1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 9, 2009 11:13 AM by Lorenzo

Filemaker Printing Error

itpatti

Summary

Filemaker Printing Error

Description of the issue

Since upgrading to FileMaker 9.0 from 8.0, I am not able to print to one of the printers in our office.  Apparently, other users in our office are having the same problem, and it is critical they print to this printer since it is our only color laser. When I try to send a print job, I get the error "Sorry, FileMaker is unable to continue printing.  (Error)".  I'm not sure how to fix this one - I can print to this printer from all other applications.  It worked using FM8.0, but not 9.0 (I have recently upgraded to FM9.0 Advanced, and it will not work using this either.). I am running a Windows XP machine, 3 gb RAM. If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it!  I am the IT person here, and could not find any information on your forums. Thanks in advance!Patti

• 1. Re: Filemaker Printing Error
          Lorenzo

Filemaker scripted printing and otherwise from the windows world is tough.  Here are some rules I follow with fmp 9 in order to usually have good printing results.

1.  Make sure you have a postscript print driver installed for the printer, not PCL6 drivers.

2.  Make sure that in the printer folder that you set your printer settings - Advanced tab - Graphic - TrueTypeFont - (select) Download as Soft Font

3.  Set the printer as the default printer before entering filemaker pro.  Do not switch printers during the printing cycle.

4.  Always use the fixed page margins in the Layout Setup - Printing - Use Fixed Page Pargins. (especially if you intend to make a % reduction.) 

If these all fail I save as .pdf and print it from adobe acrobat.

At least with fmp 9.0v3 the scripted printing usually works.

If we had a mac we would not have these problems.